Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Adam Witwicki <aw...@oakfordis.com> on 2018/09/20 07:58:48 UTC

Disk controller type

Hello,

I have a number of of instances using the wrong controller type (ATA) does anyone know where this is set in the database so I can start them with the VirtIO scsi controller?

Thanks

Adam

Disclaimer Notice:
This email has been sent by Oakford Technology Limited, while we have checked this e-mail and any attachments for viruses, we can not guarantee that they are virus-free. You must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking.
Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Oakford Technology Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Oakford Technology Limited.
Registered address: Oakford Technology Limited, 10 Prince Maurice Court, Devizes, Wiltshire. SN10 2RT.
Registered in England and Wales No. 5971519

RE: Disk controller type

Posted by Adam Witwicki <aw...@oakfordis.com>.
That didn’t format correctly

Set this is the user_vm_details table

Id        vm_id   name                         value    display
3625  201        rootDiskController  virtio     1

RE: Disk controller type

Posted by Adam Witwicki <aw...@oakfordis.com>.
Andrija,

It seems to be an issue with windows, it won't correctly add the driver for virtio until a device exists.
I tried may times right clicking on the inf files, and selecting install then rebooting, in safe mode etc, with different BCDedit values, all failed to boot windows.

But hot-adding a virtio disk (and controller) and then installing the drivers worked repeatedly.

The old tricks of the XP days changing from IDE to SATA controllers no longer seem to work ;)

Thanks

Adam

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adam,

RE: Disk controller type

Re: Disk controller type

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Disk controller type

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com.INVALID>.

RE: Disk controller type

Posted by Adam Witwicki <aw...@oakfordis.com>.

Re: Disk controller type

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

RE: Disk controller type

Re: Disk controller type

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Sooo... here is my experience:

RE: Disk controller type

Posted by Adam Witwicki <aw...@oakfordis.com>.

It looks like I can just add

Re: Disk controller type

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Controler depends on setyings, specified in template or os family used. So
Windows guests don't receive virtio for network and storagr, thus they can
be deployed without additional drivers.

Re: Disk controller type

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Disk controller type