Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/12 15:43:53 UTC

tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

I am using tomcat   6.0.35 in production. I am running my web application
on this , It    uses spring, wicket, hibernate and lot of other
technologies, problem is after one month of running my application I get out
of memory error perm gen space could not serialize mybject... .
I am using wicket framework which    serializes lot of stuff in memory I
think it is serializing lot of stuff and not enough memory is available to
serialize .

After restart the server is good for approx one month.

How can I detect in advance that  my app is using up all available memory ?
I am not a server administrator or system admin,  I am just a developer and
right now managing my production servers.
This out of memory perm gen  space   error  could this be because of some
memory leak ?

can I run gc once in week on running tomcat   should we do this for  server
good health  ,  earlier our deployment team used to deploy this and we never
had out f memory issue.
is there any maintenance necessary for production servers if so what are
those ?

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> > is there any maintenance necessary for production servers if so what
> > are those ?
>
> Health monitoring is always useful.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Performance_and_Monitoring
>
>  - Chuck

As Chuck pointed out, find out what's causing the leak.

Some commands that might help include:

This command will print the PermGen memory usage in MB:
${JRE_HOME}//bin/jstat -gcold ${TOMCAT_PID} | /usr/bin/tail -1 | awk -F' '
'{print $2/1024}'

This command will give you a helpful snapshot of what's occupying PermGen:
${JRE_HOME}/bin/jmap -permstat ${TOMCAT_PID}

Thanks,
                  -Shanti

RE: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Leo Donahue - RDSA IT <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

The default permgen space is 64MB.

Could it also run out of permgen space if you deploy many web applications that don't leak, which exhausts the default permgen memory allocation?  Is the wording on this page accurate?
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/visualvm/monitor_tab.html

[quote]
PermGen. The PermGen graph displays changes in the permanent generation area over time. The permanent generation is the area of the heap where class and method objects are stored. If an application loads a very large number of classes, then the size of the permanent generation might need to be increased using the -XX:MaxPermSize option.
[/quote]

Leo

RE: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/MemoryLeakProtection

> can I run gc once in week on running tomcat

Pointless; the JVM is doing that automatically.

> earlier our deployment team used to deploy this and we never
> had out of memory issue.

So what did they break with the most recent deployment?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: fachhoch [mailto:fachhoch@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

> how can I  figure this out ?

Use the manager app, as suggested.

> are there any suggested ways to use threadlocal when deployed in tomcat ?

Using ThreadLocal when the threads belong to a pool is rather tricky, and often leads to memory leaks.  Try to avoid it, if possible.

> I dont have manager app , I just have my application I removed all others
> apps from tomcat.

So put it back in.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
I did not any change the default setting for session timeout  so it shoule be
30 minutes.
I do have some jsp very few but these  are used by external application to
check if my app is   alive they call this jsp every 10 minutes or frequent
intervals, also I have  a  jquery time out plugin which  calls a jsp every 5
minutes  to keep session alive also it takes care of timing out  due to
inactivity  .

redeplyments I  do by restarting the server , I always restart the server.

number of session could this be because of

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html#Persistence_Across_Restarts

?

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:13:20AM -0700, fachhoch wrote:
> every few seconds  a new session is begin created from  an ipaddress , I have
> no clue  who owns that ipaddress , how can I find more  about that
> ipaddress?

'whois'.

There's an app for that:  your browser

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 14, 2013, at 6:00 PM, fachhoch wrote:

> I think one of my filters are involved in creating session , I tried  in  dev
> box calling the url called by load balancer ,and saw that a session is
> getting created   every time its a new browser, so then I   called a html
> file   still session is being created, I use some of the filters which I
> cannot  make changes to, so I am, wondering , If I can add  something   like
> a filter in web.xml which will bypass all other filters if url is lets say
> /myaap/ping.html  how to bypass all other filters and serve the request ?

You could, but I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.  If the filter is creating a session, then just change the filter-mapping so that it isn't applied for this resource.  In your web.xml, look for the "filter-mapping" tag for the filter that is starting the session then just change it so the filter ignores this resource.

Having said that, if you absolutely want to create a custom filter, try the following:

1.) Implement Filter
2.) In the doFilter method, if request is a ping, handle it otherwise continue filter chain
3.) Define your filter in web.xml, make sure it's first in the filter chain

Now your filter should execute first, if it's a ping request it will just handle it.  If not, it'll continue down the filter chain like normal.

Dan

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
I added the access log and now I know what url is being called ,   this is
the  url    I  configured  my loadbalancer to check  application is running
fine.  The url is of a servlet , this servlet sure does not create session
and it forwards to a jsp using

the jsp is

I am not creating any session with these two , resources ,am i?

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:56 AM, fachhoch wrote:

> mine app is running  behind   amazon load balancer may be its  ipaddress from
> that aws , I dont know , but all I care is not to create session , to aws
> load balancer I gave the url to ping my app which is a servlet   and this
> forwards to jsp in that jsp  I have
> <%@ page session="false" %>
>
> this should  not create a session ,  may be   some thing else is creating
> a new session.

That's certainly possible.

> is there any way I can figure out what  was the request resource being
> called every few minutes

Configure an AccessLogValve if you don't have one already.  Then look at the log to see what URL the IP address is requesting.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve

> and which request resource is creating new session

Look at your code.  Setting "session=false" in your JSP will simply stop the JSP from creating a session by default.  If your code attempts to accesses the session at any point, that will also cause a session to be created.

Dan

Re: RE:tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
mine app is running  behind   amazon load balancer may be its  ipaddress from
that aws , I dont know , but all I care is not to create session , to aws
load balancer I gave the url to ping my app which is a servlet   and this
forwards to jsp in that jsp  I have
<%@ page session="false" %>

 this should  not create a session ,  may be   some thing else is creating
a new session.

is there any way I can figure out what  was the request resource being
called every few minutes and which request resource is creating new session
?

RE:tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Eugène Adell <Eu...@d2-si.eu>.
Maybe a monitoring tool (NAGIOS/PATROL/..) which is checking if the site is available ?

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 3/14/2013 10:27 AM, fachhoch wrote:
> how can I block it , can I do it from my app or server setting or   os
> setting , please advice me .

Firewall or OS-level.

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com> wrote:

>> how can I block it

> If your OS has a firewall, you could use that.

If you're on a *nix system, see the man page for  'iptables' and/or
'tcp_wrappers'.

http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:27 AM, fachhoch wrote:

> how can I block it , can I do it from my app or server setting or   os
> setting , please advice me .

If your OS has a firewall, you could use that.  Otherwise, you can configure a Remote Address Filter in Tomcat.  Configuration of the filter is pretty simple, but if you need an example you should be able to find one on Google pretty quickly.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter

Dan

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE:tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Eugène Adell <Eu...@d2-si.eu>.
Sure,

you can block any IP by configuring a VALVE in the main config file (server.xml) :

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter

Or if you are running Linux, you can configure the IPTABLES. This one is more expensive to do.

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:13 AM, fachhoch wrote:

> every few seconds  a new session is begin created from  an ipaddress , I have
> no clue  who owns that ipaddress , how can I find more  about that
> ipaddress?

Block it and see who complains that they can no longer access your server?

Dan

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
I added  all my jsp   with <%@ page session="false" %>  still session count
is increasing  , is there any  session listner which will debug all session
creation   ,time ,ipaddress etc and session destroy   atleast I can see
where the session are coming from.

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hard to say exactly.  Perhaps your session expiration time is large and
sessions are not being removed as quickly as you would expect.

how can I  figure this out ?, I am did not make any setting for session
timeout ,except for browser activity   where  to check session expiration
configration?

are there any suggested ways to use threadlocal when deployed in tomcat ? I
am using thread local as advised in any tutorial,    any special care must
be taken   with threadlocal for tomcat ?

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 13, 2013, at 11:30 AM, fachhoch wrote:

> Will connecting  jconsole to my prod env will it cause any performance issues
> ?

Connecting with jconsole shouldn't cause any problems.

> I connected jconsole to my server running in  training env.  Not many user
> were using my app are when  I connected.
>
> I looked at activeSession  whihc is in
> Manager/myapp/localhost/attributes/activeSession
>
> The value was 95 , I am sure  not 95 users are using my app , its only me
> and one more guy logged  in    also logs say the same. How come I have 95
> sessions ,

Hard to say exactly.  Perhaps your session expiration time is large and sessions are not being removed as quickly as you would expect.

> I can list session Ids but  I donot see anything more about that
> session , can I check the size of a session ?  and objects in the session?

Do you have the Manager app installed?   This is probably the easiest way to look at your sessions.

> memory tab shows me how much is available ?  etc but any pattern  of the
> graph whihc says I have  memory problems?

Not exactly sure what you are asking here, but in general if you have a memory leak the graph will trend upwards.  In other words, the amount of memory in use will increase over time.

Dan

Re: tomcat 6.0.35 in production maintaince

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.