Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Kim van der Riet <ki...@redhat.com> on 2018/06/06 14:21:37 UTC

Proposal to deprecate qpid legacystore

I would like to propose that the qpid legacystore be deprecated. It has
been replaced by the linearstore, which is built by default. This has
been the case for more than 3 years now.

I suggest that we place a deprecation notice into the build and on
startup into the logs at warning level. After six months or so, we can
remove it from the source tree.

Suggestions, comments?

Re: Proposal to deprecate qpid legacystore

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Sounds reasonable to me. The linearstore is around long enough and works
well.

Jakub

Posted by Chris Richardson <ch...@apache.org>.
Regarding the actual "following through" on the deprecation:

If I understand correctly, the linearstore ORM code relies on classes from
the Berkeley DB library; with legacystore gone, the only purpose of the
dependency on BDB would be for this mapping even though BDB storage would
no longer be in use anywhere. The current-day upshot of this is that BDB is
required even if linearstore is the only store included in the build.

It would be nice if this dependency on BDB from linearstore could be
removed as part of the deprecation of legacystore; the only problem is that
this increases the complexity of the task by an order of magnitude and
means that quite some refactoring will be required to the relatively stable
linearstore code, which then might not be quite so stable. Perhaps there's
a more acceptable migration path that would achieve all goals and also
maintain QA?

Apologies if I'm harping on about an already well-known issue.

Posted by Kim van der Riet <ki...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Seems reasonable. I assume you mean warning at startup only if they
are actually using the legacy store.

The legacy store name itself plus building the linearstore, is already
quite a hint so I'm not sure its necessary to actually wait that long
before following through on it.

Robbie