Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Hue Holleran <hu...@openAction.net> on 2003/04/27 21:01:28 UTC

struts-el tags and netbeans 3.5 (and 3.4.1?) compilation error

Hi All,

Is anyone using netbeans 3.5 (or 3.4.1) with netbeans built-in tomcat 4.0.6
successfully with the struts-el tags - I'm getting the following compilation
error on compiling a JSP that uses the -el tags - this is the output
attempting to manually compile index.jsp from strutsel-exercise-taglib.war
(expanded) from jakarta-struts-20030424 nightly:

index.jsp [-1:-1] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources
.java:577)
(full error is at end of email)

I get this error with netbeans 3.5 beta and seemingly 3.4.1 stable running
under Win2k or Linux (Debian) both using Sun's latest JDK 1.4.1_02 but runs
faultlessly on standalone tomcat 4.0.3 (from Debian), latest tomcat 4.0.6
(from jakarta) and latest tomcat 4.1.x all with Sun's JDK 1.4.1_02 under
both Win2k and Debian Linux - any ideas?

Thanks,

Hue.

-- Error compiling under netbeans internal Tomcat 4.0.6 --
index.jsp [-1:-1] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELLinkTagBeanInfo.class$(ELLinkTagBeanInfo.j
ava:88)
        at
org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELLinkTagBeanInfo.getPropertyDescriptors(ELL
inkTagBeanInfo.java:88)
        at
java.beans.Introspector.getTargetPropertyInfo(Introspector.java:436)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:372)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:144)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagCache.setTagHandlerClass(TagCache.java:116)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagBeginGenerator.init(TagBeginGenerator.java:146
)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.jspparser.AnalyzerParseEventListener.addGenerator(A
nalyzerParseEventListener.java:154)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.jspparser.AnalyzerParseEventListener.handleTagBegin
(AnalyzerParseEventListener.java:962)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleTagBegin(DelegatingListe
ner.java:221)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleTagBegin(DelegatingListe
ner.java:216)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser$Tag.accept(Parser.java:878)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1145)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1103)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1099)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:214)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.jspparser.JspParserImpl.callTomcatParser(JspParserI
mpl.java:126)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.jspparser.JspParserImpl.analyzePage(JspParserImpl.j
ava:93)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.core.jsploader.JspDataObject.createCompiler(JspData
Object.java:297)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.core.jsploader.JspCompilerSupport.addToJob(JspCompi
lerSupport.java:62)
        at
org.openide.actions.AbstractCompileAction.prepareJobFor(AbstractCompileActio
n.java:361)
        at
org.openide.actions.AbstractCompileAction.prepareJobFor(AbstractCompileActio
n.java:329)
        at
org.openide.actions.AbstractCompileAction.compileNodes2(AbstractCompileActio
n.java:132)
        at
org.openide.actions.AbstractCompileAction.performAction(AbstractCompileActio
n.java:45)
        at
org.openide.util.actions.NodeAction$DelegateAction.actionPerformed(NodeActio
n.java:431)
        at org.netbeans.core.ModuleActions$1.run(ModuleActions.java:97)
        at org.openide.util.Task.run(Task.java:136)
        at
org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:328)
        at
org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:670)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources
.java:577)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.BaseHandlerTag.<clinit>(BaseHandlerTag.java:10
7)
        ... 31 more
Errors compiling index.

---

RE: struts-el tags and netbeans 3.5 (and 3.4.1?) compilation error

Posted by Hue Holleran <hu...@openAction.net>.
Hi David,

>> Could you set a breakpoint in ELLinkTagBeanInfo and determine where it's
throwing an exception in that class? <<

Well, I could - but this is error actually occurs during compilation at line
577 of
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources
.java:577). I haven't been able to re-produce this error with any other
combination other than with the netbeans' built-in tomcat - but this occurs
for me with the new netbeans 3.5 beta and latest 3.4.1 stable.

I have tried the other nb compiler types: 'external' (default), 'internal'
and 'external fast javac' - the fast javac returns much quicker -
unfortunately with the same error!

I am now going to try Sun's JDK 1.4.2 beta and Sun's JDK 1.4.0 (as seems to
be recommended on a recent post to the nbdiscuss user group - for resolving
debugging instabilitiy problems) to see if I can get any different results
with a different JDK.

Thanks for your response.

Hue.

Posted by "David M. Karr" <dm...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Marcel Maré <li...@webtothemax.com>.
Not that it will be of much help, but I'm getting this same error on
NB3.4.1. on Win XP with Sun JDK 1.4.1_02.

Marcel