Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Chonger <jc...@johncheng.dhs.org> on 2001/12/19 03:08:33 UTC

Problem compiling svn with Berkeley DB4.0

Following the instructions in INSTALL, I have able to compile
a client only version of svn. I was able to co the latest code,
recompile, and get (as of a week ago), the latest version of
svn.

Today I installed BerkeleyDB4.0 to try to get a version
capable of accessing local repo. But make is exiting with
this error:

devel/subversion/libsvn_fs/.libs/libsvn_fs.a(trail.o): In function
`commit_trail':
devel/subversion/libsvn_fs/trail.c:104: undefined reference to
`txn_checkpoint'
devel/subversion/libsvn_fs/.libs/libsvn_fs.a(fs.o): In function
`cleanup_fs':
devel/subversion/libsvn_fs/fs.c:134: undefined reference to `txn_checkpoint'
devel/subversion/libsvn_fs/fs.c:139: undefined reference to `txn_checkpoint'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

txn_checkpoint seems to be a part of the BerkelyDB, and it seems to be
defined in my db_cxx.h file. I don't know why it's considered
undefined.

I installed svn in this dir struct

 svn/

  +-------> devel         <--- root dir of svn
  +-------> BerkeleyDB4.0 <--- root dir of Berkeley install
  |          +-----> lib
  |          +-----> include
  +-------> db-4.0.14     <--- Berkeley DB's source code from
                               tarball

Do I simply need a earlier version of BDB? INSTALL refers to
BerkeleyDB 3.3 , is that what I need and where can I get it?

Re: Problem compiling svn with Berkeley DB4.0

Posted by Matt Kraai <kr...@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:00:10AM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> "Chonger" <jc...@johncheng.dhs.org> writes:
>
> > Today I installed BerkeleyDB4.0 to try to get a version
> > capable of accessing local repo. But make is exiting with
> > this error:
> >
> > devel/subversion/libsvn_fs/fs.c:134: undefined reference to `txn_checkpoint'
>
> We don't support DB 4 yet, it's too new.  You need 3.3.11 for now.  If
> you have DB 4 installed system-wide, then just drop a 3.3 tree right
> into your svn source, and it will be used instead.

If you want to use DB 4, however, it's trivial to convert
subversion.  I think the following (untested) script will do so:

for file in subversion/libsvn_fs/fs.c subversion/libsvn_fs/trail.c; do
  sed 's/txn_checkpoint (\([^,]\+\)/\1->\0/' $file >$file.new
  mv $file.new $file
done

Matt

Re: Problem compiling svn with Berkeley DB4.0

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.