Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/10 10:21:48 UTC

Re: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

On 10/10/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would add something to what Alex just said : we didn't anted to make
> Kerberos a separate Apache project, but a separate sub-project, from
> Maven point of view. This was just about an internal refactoring.
>
> Kerberos and Apache Directory Project are tighly coupled right now,
> and will remain coupled for a while.

   So, is it possible to get a workable bundle of kerberos client
related class without other part of Directory? I am now studying the
feasible ways to implement harmony's jgss provider.

> Last, not least, I see no way for Harmony to use any of the Apache
> Directory project due to the very restrictive condition you have to
> fulfill to become a contributor of this project (ie, not having read
> any line of SUN java source). We can't guarantee that the ADS
> developpers haven't been tainted by SUN code.

   The story is here that Harmony really has some other constraint but
it does not mean contributor cannot read any line of sun's code. Due
to its modulity, if one intends to contribute code in security module,
for example, he/she cannot see that part of sun's code.

  Furthermore, we intend to include part of kerberos code of a binary
distribution as an external link and not to put the source code into
harmony's repository. It is acceptable providing that the external
dependency is under APL if I have not missed something.

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM