Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by Zhouxiang Zhan <zh...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/08 07:11:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] [RIP-39] Support gRPC protocol

Hi. RocketMQ Community:

We are proposing to implement the gRPC protocol on RocketMQ.

Detailed proposal: https://shimo.im/docs/gXqmeEPYgdUw5bqo/ 「RIP-39:Support
gRPC protocol」

Looking forward to more detailed discussions.

Re: [DISCUSS] [RIP-39] Support gRPC protocol

Posted by Zhanhui Li <li...@apache.org>.
It is completely possible to maintain API compatible while transport and
codec are replaced with gRPC.  However, another RIP is also proposing
amendment to the existing API, with strong focus on consistency,
immutability, and ease of use.

Considering the well received SemVer paradigm (see https://semver.org/),
wondering that we should upgrade the major version and keep the new SDK
capable of co-existence with current ones. That is, the new SDK is able to
run alongside 4.x version in the same JVM, allowing partial migration to
the new SDK. In the meantime, maintaining version 4.x for some time until
it reached end-of-life.

[RESULT] [VOTE] [RIP-39] Support gRPC protocol

Posted by Zhouxiang Zhan <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hello RocketMQ Community,

This is the vote result for the kickoff of RIP-39 Support gRPC protocol,
and it has been passed with [4] binding +1s:

*Binding votes +1s:*

yukon(yukon@apache.org)
lollipopjin(lollipop@apache.org)
Zhanhui Li(lizhanhui@apache.org)
Xiaorui Wang(vintagewang@apache.org)

This RIP will be accepted and its status will be updated to RocketMQ wiki
soon.

Thanks.

lollipop <lo...@apache.org> 于2022年3月14日周一 15:05写道:

Posted by Zhouxiang Zhan <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hello RocketMQ Community,

Posted by lollipop <lo...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Zhanhui Li <li...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Xiaorui Wang <vi...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] [RIP-39] Support gRPC protocol

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Zhouxiang Zhan <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, RocketMQ Community,

Posted by Xiaorui Wang <vi...@apache.org>.
OK, I support this RIP.

Posted by 陈仲良 <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhouxiang Zhan <zh...@gmail.com>.
The compatibility of SDK is an important part of this RIP.
We propose to use the pop interface and the existing queue balance
mechanism
to ensure the smooth upgrade from remoting SDK and even the situation
of both remoting SDK and gRPC SDK in the same producer group or consumer
group.

Re: [DISCUSS] [RIP-39] Support gRPC protocol

Posted by Xiaorui Wang <vi...@apache.org>.