Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/07/07 14:46:57 UTC

Draft Jena report : July 2013

Draft for this quarters board report.

	Andy

-------------
== Project Description

Apache Jena is a Java framework for building Semantic Web and Linked
Data applications based on W3C and community standards.

== Issues
There are no issues to raise with the board.

== Releases
Jena 2.10.1 released on 2013-05-15
Jena SDB 1.3.6 released on 2013-05-30

== PMC
Committer/PMC last added: Jan 2013

== Activity

dev@ list:     150-200 messages a month
users@ list:   200-300 messages a month

1/ Jena has a GSoC project just getting under way, hoping to add spatial
query to the RDF query language, SPARQL.

2/ There has been a contribution of website redesign which is gathering
a lot of support.

3/ The developer community is dealing with one module, SDB (RDF query
over SQL databases), that has up to now been released sporadically and
separately.

The last release managed to get the necessary 3 +1's but the module
receives very little in the way of contributions from the whole
community.  The committers (who don't use it) have kept it working as
the main codebase changes.

The current plan is to include in the main release on a maintenance
basis on the understanding that any architectural changes to the main
system may cause it to be dropped unless active contributors emerge.

Re: Draft Jena report : July 2013

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.
>From my past reading of Board Meeting minutes different projects report
with differing levels of detail.

I don't think it is a bad thing to include a chunk of text about an issue
that is somewhat contentious in the community since it seems we as
developers would like to deprecate SDB long term and have no-one actively
maintaining it yet many in the community are using it.

Rob

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.