Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Spadez <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2012/04/10 17:10:42 UTC

Securing Solr under Tomcat - IP best way?

Hi,

I’m in the process of working how to configure and secure my server running
Nginx, and Nutch and Solr under Tomcat. Is the best security practice for
securing Solr under Tomcat simply to only allow requests only from
127.0.0.1. This way Solr isn’t exposed to the outside world and is only
compromised when the server is hacked, at which point I’m buggered anyway?

I’d appreciate your input on this because there seems to be a diverse range
of opinions on this.

Regards,

James

Re: Securing Solr under Tomcat - IP best way?

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
 Accept only what you need (ports incoming/outgoing) for specific
 trusted clients. Decide for protocols such as ICMP, DNS, NTP, SSH and of
 course HTTP and drop all other coming in and reject going out. Beyond
 this you can also configure some protection for bad packets.

 There are plenty of guides and examples to learn from.

 But i would like to add that it's a good idea to set up a cron script
 that disables the firewall rules in case you lock yourself out, it will
 happen!

Posted by Spadez <ja...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hi,

I'd certainly add firewall rules. In some cases also HTTP Auth. Nutch can
authenticate to Solr so that's no problem.

Cheers

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex