Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/07/17 11:57:36 UTC

multiple config files

I think I suggested this before but perhaps not to this list,
why not add a feture that lets Apache exec a program to produce config
input ?

e.g.

ExecForConfig "/usr/local/httpd/conf/my_filter < my_fancy_config_format"

where the stdout of the program is vanilla Apache config.

The program could be passed an environment from Apache that describes
what Apache has learnt about itself (version number, hardcoded
default paths for Apache files, compiled in modules, etc).

That way you could also support any number of config files with
a simple script such as

#
cat net.conf access.conf srm.conf somethingelse.conf

and also have more sophisticated scripts that create dynamic config
based on unlimitted variables.