Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Regis <xu...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/15 08:52:40 UTC

Don't create/embed manifest files on Windows?

As discussed in thread http://markmail.org/thread/4fhcnofc5vn462zl, define
dependencies in manifest files introduced unexpected complications, and heavily
depends on environment on target machines. And as Garrett said:

"By removing the Manifest, the OS just looks in the local directory for the
libraries--this is not what you really really want--you'd need to include the
VC++ runtimes in the application directory with the redistribution of Harmony
itself."

In our manifest, only VC++ runitmes dependency is defined and loading VC++
runtimes from Harmony's local directory is exactly what we want, so I think
embedded manifest is not necessary for us, we can use option "/MANIFEST:NO" to
stop creating it. What do you think?

--
Best Regards,
Regis.

Re: Don't create/embed manifest files on Windows?

Posted by Regis <xu...@gmail.com>.
On 2010-09-15 14:52, Regis wrote:

> As discussed in thread http://markmail.org/thread/4fhcnofc5vn462zl,
> define dependencies in manifest files introduced unexpected
> complications, and heavily depends on environment on target machines.
> And as Garrett said:
>
> "By removing the Manifest, the OS just looks in the local directory for
> the libraries--this is not what you really really want--you'd need to
> include the VC++ runtimes in the application directory with the
> redistribution of Harmony itself."
>
> In our manifest, only VC++ runitmes dependency is defined and loading
> VC++ runtimes from Harmony's local directory is exactly what we want, so
> I think embedded manifest is not necessary for us, we can use option
> "/MANIFEST:NO" to stop creating it. What do you think?

I have disabled embedded manifest files at r998010, and it fixes Windows 64-bit
issue.

--
Best Regards,
Regis.