Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Edwin Madari <ed...@verzonwireless.com> on 2009/07/23 19:44:25 UTC

pylucene windows

Appreciate if some one can share the information how you are running
pylucne on windows environment.

archives and installation page indicate windows, but no instruction on how
to.

without success installed cygwin, python, and tried compiling pylucene.
Installed MING32 but could not get python for MING32, hence of no use.
Obtanied MSVisulStudio 2005 but cannot figure out how to proceed.

I would really like to get pylucene working on windows.

thanks in advace
Edwin

Re: pylucene windows

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Edwin Madari wrote:

> Appreciate if some one can share the information how you are running pylucne
> on windows environment.
>
> archives and installation page indicate windows, but no instruction on how
> to.
>
> without success installed cygwin, python, and tried compiling pylucene.
> Installed MING32 but could not get python for MING32, hence of no use.
> Obtanied MSVisulStudio 2005 but cannot figure out how to proceed.

  Edwin,

Are you able to build a simple C/C++ program with MSVC on your system and
run it ? If not, you need to figure out how to do this first. This list is
not about how to use MSVC. Microsoft has a wealth of how-tos to get you
started with their compiler.

Then you need to obtain or build Python. Have you done that ? If not, this
list is not about how to obtain Python on Windows. See http://www.python.org
for instructions about that or how to obtain them. There is a large number
of people using Python on Windows that can help you set it up. You can find
ways to find them from the Python web site.

Then, you need to build JCC. Instructions are here:
http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/documentation/install.html
Did you read this ? If you did, do you understand all of it ? If not, what
part is posing problems at the moment ? Note that you don't need Cygwin to
build JCC. Just a functional Python built with the same compiler you're
going to use to build JCC.

Once you've got JCC built, you need to move on to building PyLucene.
At this point, you need Cygwin since the PyLucene build uses GNU Make which
is provided by Cygwin on Windows. Instructions are here:
http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/documentation/install.html
Same questions about how much you understood of it or not.

Without specific questions, we can't help you. Last time you attempted this
you insisted on using a compiler no one had used before so you were more or
less on your own. This time, you've decided to attempt this with MSVC and I
expect it to fully work but "cannot figure out how to proceed" is not
specific enough a question to help you effectively. To use a C/C++ compiler
and linker, a lot of pre-requisite knowledge is required and since we don't
know how much you know or don't, helping us help you is a pre-requisite in
getting effective help from people on this list.

Kind regards,

Andi..

Re: pylucene windows

Posted by Christian Heimes <li...@cheimes.de>.
Edwin Madari schrieb:
> Appreciate if some one can share the information how you are running
> pylucne on windows environment.
>
> archives and installation page indicate windows, but no instruction on
> how to.
>
> without success installed cygwin, python, and tried compiling pylucene.
> Installed MING32 but could not get python for MING32, hence of no use.
> Obtanied MSVisulStudio 2005 but cannot figure out how to proceed.
>
> I would really like to get pylucene working on windows.

You need VS 2003 for Python 2.5 and VS 2008 for Python 2.6. VS 2005 is
not supported by any official build of Python.

Christian

Re: pylucene windows

Posted by Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com>.
Edwin Madari <ed...@verzonwireless.com> wrote:

> Appreciate if some one can share the information how you are running
> pylucne on windows environment.
>
> archives and installation page indicate windows, but no instruction on
> how to.
>
> without success installed cygwin, python, and tried compiling
> pylucene. Installed MING32 but could not get python for MING32, hence
> of no use.

You can just use the regular python.org python with MINGW.

Bill