Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Frank Mau <fm...@openoffice.org> on 2002/05/03 11:40:40 UTC

Running out of memory with Tomcat 3.3.1 and Java 1.3.1_01

Hello,
I've got a problem with the Tomcat 3.3.1 under Solaris 8 and Java
1.3.1_01.

We use a 4 processor machine and 2GB RAM and restart the tomcat every
night, cause over the day the allocated memory increases up to 2GB
(sometimes more, so it's restarted manually). Starting the garbage
collection (gc) only frees a part of the memory so after each start of
the gc a little part of the memory is missing.

Another effect is, the gc needs more and more time to garbage -> so the
server hangs and clients have a timeout. At the end it is better to restart
the server or quicker to reboot the server.

Where is the problem?

- JVM
- Tomcat
- Servlets (no use of JSP) -> some of our Servlets have a deep class
hierarchy
- other middle tier like jdbc-driver, mail-components

Thanks in advance
Frank

Frank Mau

mailto:fma@openoffice.org