Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/10/21 21:59:53 UTC

Submission for consultants page

 <consultant>
        <name>IBM</name>
        <country>Global</country>
        <practice>Development</practice>
        <practice>Support</practice>
        <practice>Training</practice>
        <description>IBM® Support for Apache OpenOffice offers expert
technical support for Apache OpenOffice. With trusted IBM support,
you can confidently deploy Apache OpenOffice for your demanding
desktop office document requirements.</description>
        <website>http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/us/en/ibm-support-for-apache-openoffice</website>
    </consultant>

Re: Submission for consultants page

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 21.10.13 21:59, schrieb Rob Weir:
>   <consultant>
>          <name>IBM</name>
>          <country>Global</country>
>          <practice>Development</practice>
>          <practice>Support</practice>
>          <practice>Training</practice>
>          <description>IBM® Support for Apache OpenOffice offers expert
> technical support for Apache OpenOffice. With trusted IBM support,
> you can confidently deploy Apache OpenOffice for your demanding
> desktop office document requirements.</description>
>          <website>http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/us/en/ibm-support-for-apache-openoffice</website>
>      </consultant>
+1 for me

Re: Submission for consultants page

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> In the context of the page it makes full acknowledgement of where
> Apache OpenOffice is from.

The page footer, or the last paragraph of the text, could still explain
that Apache OpenOffice is a trademark of the Apache Software Foundation.
This is not confusing to users and won't harm.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Submission for consultants page

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Drat - I'm so far behind.... *laughing*..

The answer is no. I did just download it however and will look when I get
home.

Thanks again

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Howdy Rob,
>>
>> Ah trademarks - yes, I agree the Apache OpenOffice should have a TM, a la:
>> "IBM® Lotus® Symphony™ is a suite of open source office applications."
>>

> I've put in a request to get that page updated.

Just to close this out, I can see that the page has now been updated:

http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/ibm-support-for-apache-openoffice

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 10/23/2013 12:04 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>
>>  On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Drew Jensen<dr...@gmail.com>
>>>
>>>  Howdy Rob,

>>> FYI on the existing consultant entries
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/**bizdev/consultants.html<http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html>
>>>
>>> none have the TM after Apache OpenOffice, and some don't even have
>>> "Apache"
>>> in front of OpenOffice. So...not sure if we should manually correct these
>>> already approved submissions.
>>>
>>> Of course, it's our site so we can do what we want. My point is we should
>>> be consistent in how OpenOffice is presented in them -- with "Apache" or
>>> not; with TM after or not.
>>>

>> I also think that webpage should show consistent information. As the
>> existing items don't have too much indication about trademarks & co., IMHO
>> we can also abstain with regards to Rob's suggestion.
>>
>> Furthermore:
>> The top headline says it all: ;-)
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice Consultants
>>
>> So, I think the point #4 on "http://www.openoffice.org/**
>> bizdev/consultant-submission.**html<http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultant-submission.html>"
>> can be eased a bit as it is clear enough that the items are with and for
>> our project resp. product.
>>
>> Marcus
>

> So...this thread does not meet "lazy consensus" but are we ready to
> implement this addition, without further changes, anyway? I'll be happy to
> take care of this either later today or tomorrow if we are.

I've put in a request to update the IBM web page to address some of
the comments.  I don't have direct access to it, but it should be
updated sometime next week.  Unless anyone has additional concerns
beyond the trademark attribution it should be OK to go forward.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> joesch@j-m-schmidt.de>

> ready to

> >> should

> >> change

> >> definitive

> all

>  For

> with
> >> my
> that
> >> >

> >> The command line should look something like:
> >>
> >> xsltproc -o consultants.html --stringparam locale en to-html.xsl
> >> consultants.xml
> >>
> >> You can switch locales by setting different values via stringparam
> >> parameter.
> >>
> >> Other XSLT engines should work, but the command line would be different.
> >>

> > ok, that's not what I was using...this seems to work and not complain
> about
> > the stylesheet being invalid.

> >> fine
> >> >

> >> Sure, I can do it next week when I am at my desk.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > Anyway, I was just about to do this when I see that there is no "contact"
> > info -- e-mail, phone etc. -- supplied with this listing as with the
> > others. I see there's a phone number supplied on the website, so maybe
> just
> > include that?
> >

> If you include the phone number you would also want to include the
> "priority code" that is on the webpage.   Or don't have a phone
> number.
>
> -Rob

I felt odd about suggesting this at all -- but it just looked a bit out of
place with the other listings we have without some contact information.

So,  with your OK, I will add the phone number and priority code and get on
with this. Of course, it can always be changed.

> >> area a

> have a

> did
> >> not

> >> this

> Apache

> OpenOffice",

> all

> > --

MzK

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
 Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
                          -- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Re: Submission for consultants page

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello *,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/23/2013 12:04 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Drew Jensen<dr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Howdy Rob,
>>
>> Ah trademarks - yes, I agree the Apache OpenOffice should have a TM, a la:
>> "IBM® Lotus® Symphony™ is a suite of open source office applications."
>>

> FYI on the existing consultant entries
> http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html
>
> none have the TM after Apache OpenOffice, and some don't even have "Apache"
> in front of OpenOffice. So...not sure if we should manually correct these
> already approved submissions.
>
> Of course, it's our site so we can do what we want. My point is we should
> be consistent in how OpenOffice is presented in them -- with "Apache" or
> not; with TM after or not.

I also think that webpage should show consistent information. As the
existing items don't have too much indication about trademarks & co.,
IMHO we can also abstain with regards to Rob's suggestion.

Furthermore:
The top headline says it all: ;-)

Apache OpenOffice Consultants

So, I think the point #4 on
"http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultant-submission.html" can be
eased a bit as it is clear enough that the items are with and for our
project resp. product.

Marcus

>> A couple of quick questions if I may.
>> Will the support only be available to those with the IBM connectors? IIRC
>> that was the plan  in the past.
>>
>> Also, does IBM have any plans to list AOO support on the United States GSA
>> registry? This was available in the past but not available for the last few
>> years.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> //drew

>>> Sorry, but appearance is imho not so much the issue here, but rather
>>> trademark rights of Apache.
>>> Yes, that is formal, but how else should this be handled?

>>> It does not have to be in the headline. Put identification in continuous
>>> text, for example in:
>>>
>>> "IBM® Support for Apache OpenOffice™ offers expert technical support for
>>> Apache OpenOffice™, ..."
>>>
>>> where IBM is already marked with ®.
>>>

>>> Greetings,
>>> Jörg

Re: Submission for consultants page

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Howdy Rob,
>>
>> Ah trademarks - yes, I agree the Apache OpenOffice should have a TM, a la:
>> "IBM® Lotus® Symphony™ is a suite of open source office applications."
>>

> FYI on the existing consultant entries
> http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html
>
> none have the TM after Apache OpenOffice, and some don't even have "Apache"
> in front of OpenOffice. So...not sure if we should manually correct these
> already approved submissions.

I think the concern is how OpenOffice is referenced on the vendor's
linked website, not on our own website.  All www.openoffice.org pages
are already covered by having the logo in the upper left, since that
has the (TM) symbol.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Howdy Rob,
>
> Ah trademarks - yes, I agree the Apache OpenOffice should have a TM, a la:
> "IBM® Lotus® Symphony™ is a suite of open source office applications."

FYI on the existing consultant entries
http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html

none have the TM after Apache OpenOffice, and some don't even have "Apache"
in front of OpenOffice. So...not sure if we should manually correct these
already approved submissions.

Of course, it's our site so we can do what we want. My point is we should
be consistent in how OpenOffice is presented in them -- with "Apache" or
not; with TM after or not.

> A couple of quick questions if I may.
> Will the support only be available to those with the IBM connectors? IIRC
> that was the plan  in the past.
>
> Also, does IBM have any plans to list AOO support on the United States GSA
> registry? This was available in the past but not available for the last few
> years.
>
> Thanks,
>
> //drew
>

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>
> wrote:
>
> > > From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]

> > > necessary formalities.

> > > relevant websites trademark of Apache, for example:

> > > I think that would be more confusing.
> >
> > Sorry, but appearance is imho not so much the issue here, but rather
> > trademark rights of Apache.
> > Yes, that is formal, but how else should this be handled?
> >
> > > It would suggest the entire
> > > name was a trademark since it is a continuous name with capital
> > > letters.
> >
> > It does not have to be in the headline. Put identification in continuous
> > text, for example in:
> >
> > "IBM® Support for Apache OpenOffice™ offers expert technical support for
> > Apache OpenOffice™, ..."
> >
> > where IBM is already marked with ®.
> >

> > Greetings,
> > Jörg

MzK

"There's so much boldness in living life this way ...
 we did it all, and no one can take it away from us."
                            -- Diana Nyad

Re: Submission for consultants page

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Howdy Rob,

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]
>
>> Received. Subject to lazy consensus as usual, we can add it to the
>> Consultants page in 72 hours.
>
> In this Case unfortunately: -1
>
> (But I do not know if I can vote here)
>

> Sorry, but I think the website does not comply with the necessary formalities.
>
> Always has been emphasized, these are marked on the relevant websites trademark of Apache, for example:
>
> "IBM Support for Apache OpenOffice <TM>"
>
> and not only:
>
> "IBM Support for Apache OpenOffice"

I think that would be more confusing.  It would suggest the entire
name was a trademark since it is a continuous name with capital
letters.

In the context of the page it makes full acknowledgement of where
Apache OpenOffice is from.  In fact it acknowledges this in the very
first sentence of the page:  "IBM Support for Apache OpenOffice offers
expert technical support for Apache OpenOffice, the open source office
software suite project from the Apache Software Foundation."  The page
also links back to www.openoffice.org.

> See point 4 in:
> http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultant-submission.html

You should read the linked Apache page for what respecting marks means:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

Let me know if you see anything that does not comply with those requirements.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,