Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/07/08 11:38:56 UTC

gumping httpcore

Hi folks,

I've made an attempt to define Gump projects for httpcore.
Unfortunately, this is copy&paste-then-trial-and-error work
with a turnaround time of probably a day. I don't have Gump
set up locally, so I'll have to wait for the periodic runs
to see if it works. Please prepare for some Gump spam until
then, as I have (tried to) configure reports for successful
runs, too.

Once I get the basics right, we can discuss the finer
points. Currently, the generated JAR file names have a
release indicator in addition to the -SNAPSHOT prefix.
That means we'd have to update the Gump definition for
every release.
I couldn't find instructions on overriding the JAR name
for each module with a simple property. The Maven2 style
solution would probably be to have an extra Gump profile
which overrides the JAR names or something like that :-)

cheers,
  Roland

Re: gumping httpcore

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/07/07, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> > Are you sure? I thought Gump took care of these, so if you depend on
> > the output of another project, it will automatically include the
> > date-string or whatever.
>
> Not quite. If you depend on output from another project,
> Gump uses the JAR name defined by that project. But it is
> up to the project to define that JAR name. For example:

Sorry, that's what I meant - AFAIK you don't need to know how the
other project names its jars.

S.

Re: gumping httpcore

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Sebastian,

> Are you sure? I thought Gump took care of these, so if you depend on
> the output of another project, it will automatically include the
> date-string or whatever.

Not quite. If you depend on output from another project,
Gump uses the JAR name defined by that project. But it is
up to the project to define that JAR name. For example:

  <project name="mina">
    <mvn>
      <property name="maven.final.name" value="mina-@@DATE@@"/>
    </mvn>

Looks easy enough, but I'd need to make it work
with our modular structure.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: gumping httpcore

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/07/07, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've made an attempt to define Gump projects for httpcore.
> Unfortunately, this is copy&paste-then-trial-and-error work
> with a turnaround time of probably a day. I don't have Gump
> set up locally, so I'll have to wait for the periodic runs
> to see if it works. Please prepare for some Gump spam until
> then, as I have (tried to) configure reports for successful
> runs, too.
>
> Once I get the basics right, we can discuss the finer
> points. Currently, the generated JAR file names have a
> release indicator in addition to the -SNAPSHOT prefix.
> That means we'd have to update the Gump definition for
> every release.

Are you sure? I thought Gump took care of these, so if you depend on
the output of another project, it will automatically include the
date-string or whatever.

> I couldn't find instructions on overriding the JAR name
> for each module with a simple property. The Maven2 style
> solution would probably be to have an extra Gump profile
> which overrides the JAR names or something like that :-)

Not sure that you need to change the names.

Re: [HttpCore] One JAR to rule them all Was Re: gumping httpcore

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

> > True. I don't think it works properly with Maven yet.
>
> I'll know whether it works well enough within a week.

> >> One jar per component, and having releases from two different
> >> build processes? I'm not convinced, but I won't stand in your
> >> way either.
> >
> > Releases? Gump output should never be released.
>
> Have another look at Oleg's mail, I shortened the quote.
> He suggests to define an Ant build for _releasing_ an
> httpcore-all.jar, _then_ to run Gump on that Ant build.
>
> > Not sure that Gump supports Maven2 yet.

Sorry, I was wrong here - there has finally been some success with
Maven2 as you say below.

I was remembering long-running ancient history and forgetting more
recent events (happens to most of us as we grow older!)

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 11:38 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've made an attempt to define Gump projects for httpcore.
> Unfortunately, this is copy&paste-then-trial-and-error work
> with a turnaround time of probably a day. I don't have Gump
> set up locally, so I'll have to wait for the periodic runs
> to see if it works. Please prepare for some Gump spam until
> then, as I have (tried to) configure reports for successful
> runs, too.
>
> Once I get the basics right, we can discuss the finer
> points. Currently, the generated JAR file names have a
> release indicator in addition to the -SNAPSHOT prefix.
> That means we'd have to update the Gump definition for
> every release.
> I couldn't find instructions on overriding the JAR name
> for each module with a simple property. The Maven2 style
> solution would probably be to have an extra Gump profile
> which overrides the JAR names or something like that :-)

Hi Roland

I suspect it is simply not possible to override a JAR name from the
command line.

Maven2 based projects tend to pick Continuum as their continuous
integration platform of choice these days. Gump may work better with
plain old Ant scripts (POAS)

Here's my Evil(TM) plan:

(1) take a formal decision to ship one JAR (httpcore-all.jar), one
Javadoc distribution in addition to Maven generated ones (may require a
vote on the dev list)
(2) Use Ant to build that distribution; optimize our existing Ant
scripts specifically for that task
(3) Use httpcore-all.jar built by Ant script for Gumping

Do the same for HttpClient when the time is right.

Thoughts?

Oleg

Re: gumping httpcore

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
I found the public logs for Gump runs:
http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/httpcomponents/index.html

Core passed, all others were not run since JUnit fails to build.
Not sure why we didn't get a success mail about the core run.
Maybe I fell for outdated documentation when specifying the
regular expression. Since I now know how to access the log,
I'll disable the not-really-enabled success messages.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: gumping httpcore

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 14:22 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> No Gump report so far. Oleg, could you check this
> evening whether something got stuck in moderation?

Nothing so far (save usual penis enlargement adverts).

Oleg

Re: gumping httpcore