Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Gary W. Smith" <ga...@primeexalia.com> on 2006/12/14 05:55:26 UTC

Image spam and Bayes problem

I haven't been watching the list much lately so I apologize if this
topic has been kicked to death.

I've seen a sharp increase in our OB Ticker spam's that consist of an
image and some text.  It passed the greylist just fine and was labeled
as bayes_00.

	HTML_30_40,HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28,HTML_MESSAGE autolearn=no
version=3.1.7

The image contained the OB stock ticker and the text was random, but
coherent sentences.  What's the best course of action to block these
now.  I'm running a couple rules from SARE.  Are there some specific
ones that will help on this?

We were running RBL's at the postfix level but recently we have started
seeing FP's on a couple of them so we disabled them for now (thus
increasing flow from about 200k messages per server per day to about
300k+).

Gary Wayne Smith

Re: Image spam and Bayes problem

Posted by Henrik Krohns <he...@stream.hege.li>.
On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:55:26PM -0800, Gary W. Smith wrote:

> We were running RBL's at the postfix level but recently we have started
> seeing FP's on a couple of them so we disabled them for now (thus
> increasing flow from about 200k messages per server per day to about
> 300k+).

Use policyd-weight instead.

Re: Image spam and Bayes problem

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
Gary W. Smith wrote:

> I’ve seen a sharp increase in our OB Ticker spam’s that consist of an
> image and some text.  It passed the greylist just fine and was labeled
> as bayes_00.

>         HTML_30_40,HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28,HTML_MESSAGE autolearn=no
> version=3.1.7
>
> The image contained the OB stock ticker and the text was random, but
> coherent sentences.  What’s the best course of action to block these
> now.  I’m running a couple rules from SARE.  Are there some specific
> ones that will help on this?
>
> We were running RBL’s at the postfix level but recently we have started
> seeing FP’s on a couple of them so we disabled them for now (thus
> increasing flow from about 200k messages per server per day to about 300k+).

Sare_stocks is effective, and for more difficult messages FuzzyOcr which is a
plugin and needs some configuration to get it working.
--
René Berber

RE: Image spam and Bayes problem

Posted by "Gary W. Smith" <ga...@primeexalia.com>.
Updating the sa rules seemed to make an immediate noticeable difference.
Thanks.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:55:26PM -0800, Gary W. Smith wrote:
> The image contained the OB stock ticker and the text was random, but
> coherent sentences.  What's the best course of action to block these
> now.  I'm running a couple rules from SARE.  Are there some specific
> ones that will help on this?

Use sa-update.