Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by David Pinelo <ad...@yahoo.es> on 2003/12/29 13:08:07 UTC

Beginner question... ;)

Hi,

I'd like to develop my own publication. You know, I've
been studying the Java API, and see your actuals
publications (default, OSCOM...). I'd like the API,
and the content managment idea you propose, but I need
more functions on my publications. So, I'm trying to
start a new publication. I don't know exactly how to
start:

-How must I develop new pages for my publication? (Let
a page that manage the edition of a new content with a
special form I must include). At the beginning I
thought I must develop several jsp pages based on the
Lenya API, but I think that this is wrong, because the
page that generate your publications are XSP files. So
I suppose I have to develop my publication using XSP.
Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Beginner question... ;)

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 13:08, David Pinelo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to develop my own publication. You know, I've
> been studying the Java API, and see your actuals
> publications (default, OSCOM...). I'd like the API,
> and the content managment idea you propose, but I need
> more functions on my publications. So, I'm trying to
> start a new publication. I don't know exactly how to
> start:

Hello,

the best way to start would to copy the default publication. Lets call
that copy newpub. The next step could be to go to content/authoring and
setup your initial structure of the site. You need to edit sitetree.xml
appropiate. Try to use the xhtml doctype for the first.

Copy the structure in content/authoring to content/live.
Try to get your pages displayed at
http://127.0.0.1:00/lenya/newpub/authoring/

At this stage you would not be able to use the lenya cms gui to edit
pages. I will come back to that later.

Now you could edit the site style. You should edit
newpub/resources/css/page.css. Addionally you should have a look at the
*site assembly xslt* which is newpub/xslt/page2xhtml.xsl.

To see how the hole page is generated look at
newpub/publication-sitemap.xconf.

To see how menu and breadcrumbs work have a look at various xslts in
lenya/lenya/xslt/navigation and newpub/lenya/xslt/navigation. Note that
files located at newpub/lenya/xslt/navigation override files at
lenya/lenya/xslt/navigation. So you may want to copy global xslts to
override them in your pub.

I left out the workflow and editing stuff,which I mentioned above. Maybe
you will find it out yourself:)

You will also find a lot of info here:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/docs-new/docs/index.html

This should let you play a little bit with Lenya.

Have fun.

-- All this was written quick, so I perhaps made some mistakes. Sorry
for that.

> Thanks.

np.

Rolf Kulemann

The wages of sin are high but you get your money's worth.

PGP/GPG public key:
	 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA

Re: Beginner question... ;)

Posted by David Pinelo <ad...@yahoo.es>.
Thanks both, Rolf and Michael for your quick answer.

I'll try to follow the steps you suggest... I suppose
I will have new questions on the future... ;)

Thanks a lot.

David.

Re: Beginner question... ;)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
David Pinelo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to develop my own publication. You know, I've
> been studying the Java API, and see your actuals
> publications (default, OSCOM...). I'd like the API,
> and the content managment idea you propose, but I need
> more functions on my publications. So, I'm trying to
> start a new publication. I don't know exactly how to
> start:

as Rolf suggested it probably makes sense to reuse an existing publication.

If I build one from scratch, then I normally do it with the following steps:

1) create the basic directories and conf files, e.g.

     publication.xml, config/publication.xconf, content/authoring
content/live, etc.

2) create a sitemap.xmap where your "site" is defined

3) create the policies and and a sample user re access controlling,
     config/ac/ac.xconf config/ac/policies config/ac/passwd

4) add the menus, menus.xmap and add to your pipelines within your
sitemap  <map:transform
src="cocoon://lenya-page/{page-envelope:publication-id}/{1}/..."/>
and the actual menus: config/menus/...

5) Make your content editable (see the editor section within the
documentation)

6) Make your pages publishable (also see the documentation or take a
look at the sample publications)

This six steps should give you the basic functionality

HTH

Michi

> -How must I develop new pages for my publication? (Let
> a page that manage the edition of a new content with a
> special form I must include). At the beginning I
> thought I must develop several jsp pages based on the
> Lenya API, but I think that this is wrong, because the
> page that generate your publications are XSP files. So
> I suppose I have to develop my publication using XSP.
> Am I wrong?
>
> Thanks.

Michael Wechner