Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Greg Morgan <dr...@cox.net> on 2007/10/01 09:28:47 UTC

Re: Improving Maven Site Docs (was maven is hard)

Brian E. Fox wrote:
> A common theme in the "maven is hard" thread is bad documentation and
>

> Lets list some positive improvements that can be made to the existing
> Maven site in this thread.

I started to respond to this thread.  Then decided to scrap that.  There
are some navigation issues and the like.  The biggest problem that I see
is that a document doesn't exist for a new Maven user so that they see
the vision of the designers of the core Maven features and plugins of
any kind.  Part of that comes from missing documentation in the code and
documentation that gets going but stops i.e. there's tons of I just
figured out Maven and here's my spin on the 5 minute guide.  Perhaps
part of the site issues are from the Maven 1.x to Maven 2.x transition.

I am about a year old Maven user.  I am very excited about Maven because
it will replace my shell scripts.  Yes, I don't have the ANT baggage and
the POM thing feels my needs.  The biggest plus is the network
repository and pulling down jars that I need. "That's Hot"   I think I
have finally hit critical mass.  The hard part is putting that in a form
that other people can understand.  Maven uses decoupling and
indirection.  I finally see how to put that together.  It's difficult to
find a way to explain some of concepts.  Non the less, I making my attempt.

Please see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGSITE-27 with this

"I am putting Maven together in my head. I am working it out in how to
configure a Maven centric build host. Draft one is very rough. Major
areas of thought and configuration have been sketched out. It may not be
ready for publication yet. To use:
Download draft
Crate maven site project.
copy unzipped files in mytestprog/src/site
cd mytestprog
mvn site:run

There lot's of work left for what I am attempting.  I'd love to hear
your feedback if you have time to download and unzip the files into a
simple site project.  The feedback will help me see if you're getting
what I see too.  Please remember that I have attached a draft one zip
file.  There's lot's of todo sections as I have fleshed out a beginning
to end layout.  However, there are some sections of the document that
are already quite mature.  Ohh and I am quite dyslexic so bear with me
on the spelling and phrasing.  I prefer to just toss out ideas so things
will look ugly to many people.  ;-(

HeeHee.  No it won't die here.  I have to understand these issues at
home so I can slog through it at work on Solaris.  I am motivated
contributor.  ;-)

HTH,
Greg

Maven Build Host (was Improving Maven Site Docs (was maven is hard))

Posted by Greg Morgan <dr...@cox.net>.

Greg Morgan wrote:

Draft two of the Maven Build Host document has been uploaded to
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGSITE-27. This draft refined some of
the structure of the document. The major push was just documenting the
mod_dav_svn module.

To use:
Download draft
Create a maven site project.
copy unzipped files in mytestprog/src/site
cd mytestprog
mvn site:run

Any directional ideas or other feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
Greg

Posted by Greg Morgan <dr...@cox.net>.