Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by sudhir patil <sp...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/12 06:36:49 UTC

Re: Stripe Compactions - recommended/stable in 0.98?

It would be great if some one can reply about stability of stripe
compactions.

Our performance tests with stripe compactions show much better results
compared to default compaction, but what worries me is this feature is
still marked as experimental in hbase book, also i have seen issues while
reverting back table with stripe compactions to default compaction.

Is stripe compactions stable enough to use in production? helpful to have
your views.

Posted by sudhir patil <sp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Elliott & Devaraj.

While reverting back to default compaction for few tables alter statement
got stuck and did not complete even after long time. I had to kill the
process, i tried to rerun alter statements again on these tables disable
statements fails saying table is not enabled, so i tried enbaling table but
thats also fails, looks like these tables are in some unknown state  and
not able disable or enable.

Fallowed steps as mentioned here
http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/cdh/5/hbase-0.98.6-cdh5.2.3/book/regions.arch.html#ops.stripe
to enable & disable stripe compactions.