Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/02/01 11:11:50 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Use Maven as official build tool

Peter Donald wrote:
> Maven is very very kool. I have been using it for a bit and love it. I just
> saw a change go in that makes it possible to change reports displayed too -
> yaya!
>
> However I don't think it should be our primary build tool till post maven-b8
> release. We can add in b7 project.xmls but I would prefer to keep the current
> build.xmls around until the future.

Previously, I had asked that the maven descriptor in the avalon CVS not
be in the main dir, not to confuse our users.

But as I now understand from this mail, it's also possible that we just
don't include it in the releases.

I'm against using any non-released buildtool in releases.

But given that there is much discussion on things that developers don't
even know what is about, I think it's in the best interest of all Avalon
that build tools alternative to Ant are included in the correct places
in our projects so that all developers can evaluate them and decide on
merit rather than feeling.

This of course also means that we accept the POMs from Jason, and can
commit any other build system too for comparative evaluation.

What do you guys think, is this reasonable?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Use Maven as official build tool

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> First of all - I would love to be able to see a comparison.
>

> Then let's hold off for now. I want to be clear on this: I don't care
> what build tool we choose in the end, but I want to see a fair
> comparison. Fair in the conditions I mean, then everyone can decide as
> he wants. Decisions based on emotions, especially technical ones, are
> never good.

Sounds fine.

>> Can you point me to a Java project at Apache using Centipede for
>> project management?
>

> Jakarta POI is in the progress of conversion to the new centipede.
> I'll tell you when it's "ready" to evaluate.

OK

> In the meantime, Jeff and I and many others are more than capable of
> fixing any Ant problem we may have. I'm having difficulty in
> partecipating actively in these days, but I'll be responsive on
> specific questions and needs.
>
>> Secondly, I don't want to see Jason's 20 POMs committed (they a
>> minimal and don't address thinigs like test cases and some of the
>> annomolies in some of the Avalon projects).
>

> Ok, from the mails it seems that you are not the only one, although it
> confuses me a bit since you propose to use Maven...

Let me clear up the confusion.  Based on my internal usage of Maven I
feel that even in its beta and evolving state, it provides a better
platform for release management than what we have now. I also think that
we would need time to play and get things like a project strategy into
place.  Jason's 20 POMs are basically minimal - and somewhat out of
date.  I have a number of projects that I have build up project
descriptors with full support for site generation, testing, releasing,
etc.  Its based on that work that I'm feeling good about Maven.  I also
have problems with Maven - things like manifest files that look
unworkable - and the royal pain when things don't work.  I also don't
like the absence of a roadmap of a schedule concerning Maven releases.
 I don't like the fact that as soon as you deal with anything
non-classic in structure, you really need to rollover to 0.8.

Aside from all of my complaints, its my impression that Maven today is
better that what we have today (Ant + Avalon specifics).

> anyway, it seems that the result is to go with Ant till stable releases.
> This means that we need to find a way of comparing Maven and
> Centipede... should we enable multiple build tools in sandbox to see
> how they work? I think it's in the best interest of all.

Let's bring it up again after the release process is done.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Use Maven as official build tool

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Stephen McConnell wrote:
> First of all - I would love to be able to see a comparison.

Then let's hold off for now. I want to be clear on this: I don't care
what build tool we choose in the end, but I want to see a fair
comparison. Fair in the conditions I mean, then everyone can decide as
he wants. Decisions based on emotions, especially technical ones, are
never good.

> Can you
> point me to a Java project at Apache using Centipede for project
> management?

Jakarta POI is in the progress of conversion to the new centipede. I'll
tell you when it's "ready" to evaluate.

In the meantime, Jeff and I and many others are more than capable of
fixing any Ant problem we may have. I'm having difficulty in
partecipating actively in these days, but I'll be responsive on specific
questions and needs.

> Secondly, I don't want to see Jason's 20 POMs committed
> (they a minimal and don't address thinigs like test cases and some of
> the annomolies in some of the Avalon projects).

Ok, from the mails it seems that you are not the only one, although it
confuses me a bit since you propose to use Maven... anyway, it seems

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> Maven is very very kool. I have been using it for a bit and love it.
>> I just saw a change go in that makes it possible to change reports
>> displayed too - yaya!
>>
>> However I don't think it should be our primary build tool till post
>> maven-b8 release. We can add in b7 project.xmls but I would prefer to
>> keep the current build.xmls around until the future.
>

> Previously, I had asked that the maven descriptor in the avalon CVS
> not be in the main dir, not to confuse our users.
>
> But as I now understand from this mail, it's also possible that we
> just don't include it in the releases.
>
> I'm against using any non-released buildtool in releases.
>
> But given that there is much discussion on things that developers
> don't even know what is about, I think it's in the best interest of
> all Avalon that build tools alternative to Ant are included in the
> correct places in our projects so that all developers can evaluate
> them and decide on merit rather than feeling.
>
> This of course also means that we accept the POMs from Jason, and can
> commit any other build system too for comparative evaluation.
>
> What do you guys think, is this reasonable?

A couple of things here.

First of all - I would love to be able to see a comparison. Can you
point me to a Java project at Apache using Centerpede for project
management?  Secondly, I don't want to see Jason's 20 POMs committed

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola, Folks,

> This of course also means that we accept the POMs from Jason, and can
> commit any other build system too for comparative evaluation.
>
> What do you guys think, is this reasonable?

I think we should just hold off.  We have Ant scripts already, we are
not in need of some start of project magic.  It does not actually solve
anything.  Neither Centipede or Maven can be called defacto standards,
whereas Ant can be.  Could people reconsider this otherwise landslide
vote and just pend any decision until the Maven team can come back with
1.0 and some magic Ant-> Maven/Jelly trnsalator?

Regards

- Paul