Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Abhijit Pol <ap...@rocketfuelinc.com> on 2009/09/05 01:48:21 UTC

column based storage in hive

Hive supports column based storage using RC files.

The question is: if I store hive tables in this format and once in a
while would like run some custom map-reduce jobs against the data in
this table, am I restricted in any sense?

Thanks,
Abhi

Re: column based storage in hive

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
You can use Hive's TRANSFORM clause to do hadoop-streaming-like custom
map-reduce jobs.
You won't be restricted in any sense.

Zheng

--