Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk> on 2003/06/05 15:21:10 UTC

Re: Unsupported charater set

When comparing a mail sent to a maillist with one sent directly the
character set used is not the same.
1) When sending to a maillist the character set is: charset=Cp1252
2) When sending directly the character set is: charset="iso-8859-1"
It seems that a lot of people that uses Outlook as the mail client get the
"This message uses a character set that is not supported ..." error when
receiving mails using Cp1252.
I am sending the special Danish characters "æ", "ø" and "å" but these work
fine with iso-8859-1. There is no need to use Cp1252 if that is what is
causing the problem.

- Marc

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> When comparing a mail sent to a maillist with one sent directly the
> character set used is not the same.
>  1) When sending to a maillist the character set is: charset=Cp1252
>  2) When sending directly the character set is: charset="iso-8859-1"

There was some work done in the past few weeks to preserve the charset used
to encode a subject.

See:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-james/src/java/org/apache/james/transp
ort/mailets/GenericListserv.java

That patch is present in the latest test build.

	--- Noel