Posted to user@impala.apache.org by Boris Tyukin <bo...@boristyukin.com> on 2019/10/15 14:42:46 UTC

Query rewrite (reflections)

Hi guys,

I am curious if there are any discussions regarding the support of a query
rewrite feature in Impala. For example, Apache Dremio provides this cool
feature, which arguably can provide tremendous performance gains:
http://docs.dremio.com/acceleration/reflections.html

Basically, the idea is to have a few pre-aggregated tables and let Impala
pick the most efficient copy of the table during query time. I guess it is
a spin on an old "materialized view" idea, but the difference here that
users will query a single table without knowing about pre-aggregated
versions of that same table.

Re: Query rewrite (reflections)

Posted by Boris Tyukin <bo...@boristyukin.com>.
thanks Andrew! no question it would be quite a project. We were looking at
AtScale and Dremio and I really liked the idea how these produces can
benefit from this feature, taking performance to a sub-second territory
even for very large tables.

Posted by Andrew Sherman <as...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Boris,