Posted to users@flex.apache.org by mo...@comcast.net on 2013/05/16 16:18:04 UTC

LineSeriesItem observation -- is this normal?

My app (SDK 4.5.1) creates various dynamic LineSeries for a chart. Each chart has several LineSeries showing.

Using Flash Builder's debugger, and looking in the Live Objects tab, in the Class column, the first time the chart renders, I observe this is no row (e.g. entry) for LineSeriesItem. The app does display the various line series in the chart fine. This first chart shows 3000 points total.

Is this normal?

Then, I dynamically change line series and plot a second chart. Again, the chart displays the data nicely, showing 8000 points total. However, when I look in FB's debugger in Live Objects tab as before, I notice there is a row showing for LineSeriesItem, and it contains 3000 instances, which corresponds to the first chart's total number of data points.

Is this normal?

Then I dynamically change line series to replot the first chart data, which displays fine. But now the debugger shows 110000 instances, which corresponds to the second chart's 8000 points (which are no longer showing in the chart) plus the first chart's 3000 points.

Is this normal?

I can toggle between these two charts and the total number of instances remains the same.

If I again dynamically change line series to use a new set of data, let's say the new chart shows X number of points, then the LineSeriesItem instances equals X plus the previous chart's number of instances (e.g. data points).

Is this normal?

If I take a Memory Snapshot with "Generate object allocation stack traces" selected when configuring the profiler, then double-click on the LineSeriesItem row to open the Object References tab, I can expand each of the LineSeriesItem instances, and for each I observe a "YES" entered in the column for GC Root. I'm not sure what this means, but does it indicate a memory leak? Is this normal?

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out whether I have a problem given the above observations. If so, any idea how to fix?