Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2016/02/22 22:26:34 UTC

Adding New Module to Eclipse Packaging

Hi dev@,
Been unable to implement the Eclipse configuration for a new module as of
yet.
I see the configuration within dev-tools/eclipse and I have edited a number
of idea and maven configuration but still unable to see the new packages
when importing into Eclipse.
Can someone please point me to the code which defines the Eclipse
packaging?\
Thank you very much.
lewis

RE: Adding New Module to Eclipse Packaging

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
To add a new module, you have to first do the Ant/Ivy based setup (in general its simplest to copy another module) and then edit build.xml and ivy.xml to pull in dependencies. I assume your new module will depend on contrib/extraction, so you would need to make a dependency to the build.xml so it can build with ant. It is not needed for the eclipse setup (because Lucene/Solr uses one large classpath inside Eclipse and dependencies don’t exist), but for the final module deployment in Lucene’s ant/ivy build system, the setup must be correct. I am sorry, it is a bit complicated. Maybe we move to Gradle build at some point…

Once this is done, you can run “ant eclipse” and do what Shawn Heisey already said.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/22/2016 2:26 PM, lewis john mcgibbney wrote:
> Been unable to implement the Eclipse configuration for a new module as
> of yet.
> I see the configuration within dev-tools/eclipse and I have edited a
> number of idea and maven configuration but still unable to see the new
> packages when importing into Eclipse.
> Can someone please point me to the code which defines the Eclipse
> packaging?\

Some of this info may not be new to you, but I'm including it for others
who might need it.

What I do to import lucene-solr into eclipse:

complete the git clone.
cd to the new directory.
if necessary, switch branches.
run "ant clean eclipse"

Once the ant command finishes, open eclipse.  Right-click on a blank
spot in the project explorer, choose "Import", then "Import..." (with
three dots).  Under General, choose "Existing Projects into Workspace".
Use the "browse" button to find the location and click OK.  Eclipse
should find the project.  Make sure the correct project has a check in
its box, then click the Finish button.

After it is imported, click once on the project in the project explorer
and refresh the project.  I use the F5 key for this, but you can also
right-click on the project and choose Refresh from the menu.  Eclipse
will start a full build of the project.

If new source files are added, they should show up either immediately or
after you refresh the project.

When pulling updates to your local working copy from the git server, or
if you make changes to the ivy configuration, I recommend closing
eclipse, running the following command, re-opening eclipse, and
repeating the refresh:

ant clean clean-jars clean-eclipse eclipse

Thanks,
Shawn