Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Geoff Dyment <ge...@searstravel.ca> on 2004/02/03 20:54:50 UTC

Subject Tag

How hard would it be to get a subject tag for this list in the subject like
the old list? Outlook doesn't like filtering based on recipient addresses.
:(

Thanks,

Geoff

Re: Subject Tag

Posted by Bob George <ma...@ttlexceeded.com>.
Geoff Dyment wrote:
> How hard would it be to get a subject tag for this list in the
> subject like the old list? Outlook doesn't like filtering based
on
> recipient addresses. :(

If you dig through your inbox for messages with the Subject:
"Subject prefix on the new list" from earlier today, I think
you'll find plenty of discussion!

Of course, you can always use procmail to ADD any such tags to
sort just the way you want!

- Bob

Re: Subject Tag

Posted by Bill Larson <bl...@compu.net>.
I second the request for the subject tag.

Posted by Scott Lambert <la...@lambertfam.org>.

lambert@lambertfam.org

Re: Subject Tag

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
Posted by Damian Gerow <fr...@coal.sentex.ca>.
Thus spake Todd Schuldt (tschuldt@ised.org) [03/02/04 15:04]:
> 2nd that, and not just for Outlook, for Eudora and others that allow for
> storage by rule triggers as well.

This debate rages on and on, on almost every mailing list I've ever been on.
The general consensus on every list so far, not this one:

If you want a subject tag, add it in yourself.  If you need it for
filtering, filter on some other header.  Both Outlook and Eudora support
filtering by /other/ things (hint: look at the List-Id: header), not just
Subject, To, and From.

I can appreciate the desire for easy visual filtering -- those with
Blackberries know what I'm talking about -- but it's also worth pointing out
that even '[sa-users] ' adds considerable space to a subject line, that may
already be somewhat lengthy.

procmail is your friend.  And that's all I'm going to contribute to this
subject-tag debate.

RE: Subject Tag

Posted by Kelson Vibber <ke...@speed.net>.
At 12:04 PM 2/3/2004, Todd Schuldt wrote:
>2nd that, and not just for Outlook, for Eudora and others that allow for
>storage by rule triggers as well.

In Eudora, I'm just filtering off of the List-Id: header.  It works fine.

Kelson Vibber

Re: Subject Tag

Posted by Bob George <ma...@ttlexceeded.com>.
Todd Schuldt wrote:
> 2nd that, and not just for Outlook, for Eudora and others that
allow
> for storage by rule triggers as well.

Duncan Hill sent out a nice summary of why this might NOT be the
most logical approach earlier today. See the "Re: Subject prefix
on the new list", and I'll defer to his expertise on the merits of
the approach.

For those with "challenged" clients (myself included), a very easy
solution -- without asking the list to conform to the
lowest-common-denominator client -- is to use the same procmail
used for filtering spamassassin to modify headers to suit my own
personal tastes.

Here's an example (actually a couple of my existing recipes
combined):

# NEW sa-talk list
:0 fw
* ^Subject:\/.*
| formail -i "Reply-To: spamassassin-users@incubator.apache.org" \
    -I "Subject: [SA-Talk-My-Way] - $MATCH"

The beauty is you can have the tag use whatever you want so things
line up nicely in the OE screen when sorted, or use SHORTER tags.

I actually strip subject tags OUT of messages (along with
excessive Re:, Fwd:), since I'd rather have the screen space tell
me more about the contents of a message.

- Bob

RE: Subject Tag

Posted by Todd Schuldt <ts...@ised.org>.
2nd that, and not just for Outlook, for Eudora and others that allow for
storage by rule triggers as well.

Thanks

Todd