Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/01 17:39:02 UTC

Subprojects not listed at https://whimsy.apache.org/site/

The policy https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#navigation refers to subprojects as well as projects.

> Whatever main navigation system your project website uses, it must feature certain text links back to key pages on the main www.apache.org website. These links can appear in whatever main navigation system your site uses on all top level pages for the project or subproject.

I looked at the source code for the page which refers to code on https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/lib/whimsy/sitestandards.rb but I cannot see how to get the code to look at subprojects.

For example, https://db.apache.org/jdo/ is clearly the top level page for the DB JDO subproject. How do we include this page in the web site compliance scan?

We might need some additional metadata for the 100 or so subprojects that do not appear in committee-info.txt.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Subprojects not listed at https://whimsy.apache.org/site/

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
sebb wrote on 9/1/21 7:02 PM:
> On Wed, 1 Sept 2021 at 18:39, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The policy https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#navigation refers to subprojects as well as projects.
>>
>>> Whatever main navigation system your project website uses, it must feature certain text links back to key pages on the main www.apache.org website. These links can appear in whatever main navigation system your site uses on all top level pages for the project or subproject.
>>
>> I looked at the source code for the page which refers to code on https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/lib/whimsy/sitestandards.rb but I cannot see how to get the code to look at subprojects.
>>
>> For example, https://db.apache.org/jdo/ is clearly the top level page for the DB JDO subproject. How do we include this page in the web site compliance scan?
>
> It needs to be listed as a scan target somehow.
>
>> We might need some additional metadata for the 100 or so subprojects that do not appear in committee-info.txt.
>
> Definitely need additional metadata.

Indeed - and not all scan rules will apply to subprojects the same way.
  I don't think all the policies are even necessarily strictly
quantified enough to write accurate code - and more to the point, what
matters is if people using the websites can find stuff.

> AFAIK there is no central registry for sub-projects, and PMCs can
> create as many as they like.
>
> I don't think it's possible to automatically extract this information
> from the main website, so Whimsy will have to rely on data provided by
> the PMCs.
>
> Someone needs to design a data store for the information and then
> persuade projects to keep it updated.
>
> I think it will be a long long haul.

Agreed.  This is a nice-to-have, but I don't currently sense any
volunteer energy here to work on it.

I think encouraging projects to better think about how they present
themselves to the world is important - including for subprojects.  But
that's a bigger question, more likely for ComDev best practices and
outreach attempts to help projects - not tools to scan and say they're
not passing or something.

--
- Shane
   Whimsy PMC