Posted to user@poi.apache.org by imsaikat50 <s....@gmail.com> on 2010/06/16 07:43:55 UTC

I have problem using XFFS

Dear All,

I write a program on making excel file which reads 16 .csv file one
after another and write the data on it to the excel file. At first the
excel file was of .xls format (Excel 2003). As my row number goes
beyond 65535 i converted the program for handling the .xlsx format
(excel 2007). now the problem is its taking too much time to read from
.csv file and write data to .xlsx than for .xls. i cannot understand
what is happening.

my program is to open one .csv file and read the data then write it to
a .xlsx file (if for first time then create a new .xlsx). then close
the .xlsx and go to the next .csv file and read the existing .xlsx and
write to it.

the same process took 30 to 50 mins when i created .xls and now its
taking more than a day (!). why?

As per my opinion it is the opening and closing of the .xlsx which is
taking time. if that is the reason how i can optimize this issue?

I'll be glad if any one can help me in this issue.

--
Saikat Sarker
Bangladesh

Re: I have problem using XSSF

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
The eventmodel is much less memory intensive as it operates at a far 'lower'
level - the usermodel can be thgought of as another layer which makes it
easier to manipulate the workbook but it does require more memory. The
memory requirements of XSSF are higher than those of HWPF as it, XSSF, is
built on top of another library that actually parses the raw XML. Recently,
one of the list members - Bruce - has been throughly testing the performance
of the API and noted a number of places where improvements could be made.
Yegor has made a few changes and it coul be worth while downloading the
lattest version of the API to see if any of these wil help you.

I am not sure that the approach demonstrated in Yegor's BigGridDemo example
is the best one for you to adopt if you are having to sum values and
determine where data should be placed in the workbook. However I have to
admit that I am no expert and it might be perfectly possible with this
approach. You may have to wait a while to see if anyone else responds to
your question or even post another question asking speficlayy if anyone has
used the BigGridDemo appraoch to do what you require.

In the meantime, I think that I would look at manipulating the CSV directly
to order and reorder their contents before creating the Excel workbook. Only
you can tell if this is possible but have you thought about editing the CSV
files - maybe creating one larger file - before attempting to build the
workbook?

Yours

Mark B

Re: I have problem using XSSF