Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Erich Markert <em...@pace.edu> on 2000/04/17 15:30:55 UTC

[OT] mysql-modules for Win32 platform

I've been trying to get the msql-mysql-modules compiled and installed on
my Win98 machine for a couple weeks without much luck.

I tried using the latest version of perl 5.6 from active state but ran
into nothing but problems.  Basically running perl Makefile.PL for
Data::ShowTable (a required module) failed because the version of perl
couldn't be determined - even after reinstalling.

I finally reverted back the a previous version of perl (Gurusamy
Sarathy's version 5.004_02) and was able to get Data::ShowTable and DBI
installed but now when I run perl Makefile.PL for Msql-Mysql-modules I
receive these errors:

Note (probably harmless): No library found for 'm.lib'
Usage: xsubpp [-v] [-C++] [-except] [-prototypes] [-noversioncheck]
[-nolinenumb
ers] [-s pattern] [-typemap typemap]... file.xs
Writing Makefile for DBD::mysql
Writing Makefile for Msql-Mysql-modules

My questions are:

1.  Is there a binary version of *just* DBI,Msql-Mysql-modules for
Win32?
2.  If not, is there a PPM of the above for Activestate's perl 5.6 for
Win32 (I did a search for DBD::mysql but it failed)?

TIA,

Erich
Mr. Erich L. Markert                     emarkert@pace.edu
Computer Learning Center		 TEL (914)422-4328
Pace University
1 Martine Ave
White Plains, New York 10606-1932

                -- Henry Spencer

Re: [OT] mysql-modules for Win32 platform

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@uk.radan.com>.
Erich Markert wrote:

> I've been trying to get the msql-mysql-modules compiled and installed on
> my Win98 machine for a couple weeks without much luck.

I managed to get these working on NT4 with both 5.005_03 and 5.6.0 (both
built myself from the standard distribution, not the ActiveState build)
after a bit of hacking...

> I tried using the latest version of perl 5.6 from active state but ran
> into nothing but problems.  Basically running perl Makefile.PL for
> Data::ShowTable (a required module) failed because the version of perl
> couldn't be determined - even after reinstalling.

I also had trouble with this when I had mSQL installed.  It said "Unable to
find a perl 5" and then proceeded to name the files it was looking for
(including perl.exe!) and the directories where it was looking (including
D:\perl5\bin, which is where it was!).  To my surprise, I found that
uninstalling mSQL and then trying to build Data::ShowTable again worked
fine!  Weird.  Anyway, I've now ditched mSQL in favour of the much better
MySQL which doesn't suffer this problem.

I don't know if this is the same problem you had -- you might have a
different problem because you're using the ActiveState build?  I never had
much luck building any CPAN modules with that, which is why I never use
it...

I do still get 17/17 tests failed when running "nmake test" (!!!), but its
enough to stop msql-mysql-modules complaining that a pre-requisite is
missing.

> I finally reverted back the a previous version of perl (Gurusamy
> Sarathy's version 5.004_02) and was able to get Data::ShowTable and DBI
> installed but now when I run perl Makefile.PL for Msql-Mysql-modules I
> receive these errors:
>
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for 'm.lib'

I got a similar message regarding "-lm" which I just ignored (!!!... well,
it said it was probably harmless :-)

I also found that I had to hack the Makefile generated by "perl Makefile.PL"
to change the two lines which say:

    -e ppp '...' '...' '...'

to:

    -e "ppp('...', '...', '...')"

and I hacked the Makefile in the mysql sub-directory to change:

    OTHERLDFLAGS = -LD:\mysql/lib/opt

to:

    OTHERLDFLAGS = -LIBPATH:D:\mysql/lib/opt

None of this was necessary on my Solaris 2.6 box, however, where everything
went like a dream...

- Steve Hay

Re: [OT] mysql-modules for Win32 platform

Posted by Erich Markert <em...@pace.edu>.
Randy,

Thanks.  I tried doing an install of this remote file but kept getting a
SOAP/parser.pm error.

I then downloaded this ppd file to my local hard drive and tried to
install but it failed again.  I set verbose=yes and tried again and got
the following error:

mismatched tag at line 12, column 2, byte 301 at
D:/Perl5/site/lib/XML/Parser.pm
 line 168

Ideas?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.