Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2003/03/03 15:59:03 UTC

Idea for a new engine service

I've been thinking a bit about the desirability of better support for
application-global operations.

How about a service that works like the direct service, except that instead
of referencing a component, it could reference a listener method on the
IEngine directly.

In addition, I can see creating a mapping between application operation
names and listener methods.  So the URL might say "read-cust" but the
listener method could be readCustomer().  We could use <property> elements
in the application specification to define this, i.e.:

org.apache.tapestry.operation-alias.read-cust=readCustomer

This type of service would always be bookmarkable, just like External.  It
would add a couple of extra layers of abstraction by not exposing a page
name (which could change) or even a listener method name (which could
change).

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components