Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/10/01 18:40:38 UTC

Re: [patch] improved esql.xsl

Torsten,

I looked at your patch, and although I'm not very familiar with the
esql logicsheet, your changes seem to be in the right direction. I
would give a +1 to them (note I'm not a committer ;-).

One improvement you can probably make is to pool the EsqlConnection
objects, so you can obtain even better performance. This may be tricky
to do though, as each connection might be connected using a different
user account. These are only some thoughts, it doesn't mean you have
to implement them now.

Ovidiu

PS: BTW, anybody knows what happened to Donald?

Re: [patch] improved esql.xsl

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Torsten,
>
> I looked at your patch, and although I'm not very familiar with the
> esql logicsheet, your changes seem to be in the right direction. I
> would give a +1 to them (note I'm not a committer ;-).
>
> One improvement you can probably make is to pool the EsqlConnection
> objects, so you can obtain even better performance. This may be tricky
> to do though, as each connection might be connected using a different
> user account. These are only some thoughts, it doesn't mean you have
> to implement them now.

Connection pooling is done by the mechanisms set up for whichever Cocoon
version you are using.  Cocoon 1 uses Turbine pooling, and Cocoon 2+ uses
Avalon pooling.

Beyond that, don't worry about it.

RE: [patch] improved esql.xsl

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
> Torsten,
>
> I looked at your patch, and although I'm not very familiar with the
> esql logicsheet, your changes seem to be in the right direction. I
> would give a +1 to them (note I'm not a committer ;-).

Thanks, Ovidiu.

I'm not sure if I want to bug Donald off the list.
(I did so before ;)

Is there really no other committer familiar enough to
say if this patch is ok!?

> One improvement you can probably make is to pool the EsqlConnection
> objects, so you can obtain even better performance. This may be tricky
> to do though, as each connection might be connected using a different
> user account. These are only some thoughts, it doesn't mean you have
> to implement them now.

The SQLConnections are already pooled. The EsqlConnections were introduced
by Donald to have more convenient access to all related variables.

> Ovidiu
>
> PS: BTW, anybody knows what happened to Donald?

He must be alright. I meet him on the resin list ;)

RE: [patch] improved esql.xsl

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
...this should't stop us from developing a bit further, shouldn't it?!

I don't know if sub cvs is really a good idea. Why not applying new
things only to the HEAD branch. That's 2 commits: C1 HEAD and C2 HEAD.
That's about it.
--
Torsten

RE: [patch] improved esql.xsl