Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> on 2006/02/22 21:17:08 UTC

dynamic package identifier/parsePkgidToFindHoldability question

I'm new to the client/server code and I'm trying to understand how
holability is passed around. That led me to this method:

org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAStatement

parsePkgidToFindHoldability

I see that this method sets the holdabilty of the statement based upon
the package id. What I don't understand is the case when the package
identifier is not dynamic. In this case the holdability is set to
HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT. Is that just to match the engine's defaul
holdability, or is there some other special rule for non-dynamic package
 identifier?

Dan.

Re: dynamic package identifier/parsePkgidToFindHoldability question

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>I'm new to the client/server code and I'm trying to understand how
>holability is passed around. That led me to this method:
>
>org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAStatement
>
>parsePkgidToFindHoldability
>
>I see that this method sets the holdabilty of the statement based upon
>the package id. What I don't understand is the case when the package
>identifier is not dynamic. In this case the holdability is set to
>HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT. Is that just to match the engine's defaul
>holdability, or is there some other special rule for non-dynamic package
> identifier?

I think it was just to match the engine default because the client
holdability in these cases was not known to the server.

I believe that static identifiers are not used with client.  A long time
ago with JCC stored procedures including the builtin ones for metadata
would be called with the package SYSTAT, but  that is not the case for
client or any version of  JCC supported with Derby.

An explanation of the names for the dynamic place holders is in the DB2 doc:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8//topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/ad/r0007866.htm?resultof=%22%43%4c%49%22%20%22%63%6c%69%22%20%22%70%61%63%6b%61%67%65%73%22%20%22%70%61%63%6b%61%67%22%20

What I don't know about is ODBC.  I seem to recall there is a special
attribute associated with holdabilty for JCC.
Also I don't know if  ODBC  uses SYSTAT for Metadata calls.

Kathey