Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christi's Mail <cr...@mindspring.com> on 2001/07/03 05:31:35 UTC

JDBC Problem with Ultradev

I am attempting to connect to my MySQL install using Ultradev4 and I am
having not luck.  I am using a Linux/MySQL/Apache/Tomcat combo on my server.
MySQL works fine, so does Apache & Tomcat, and they are configure to work
together and serve up JSP's with no problems.  I also have the 2.04 mm.mysql
JDBC driver in my classpath but I cannot get Ultradev to connect to the
database.

Re: JDBC Problem with Ultradev

Posted by pete <pe...@claudia.dyn.dhs.org>.
And this has what to do with tomcat? Last i checked this was a tomcat
list, not a jdbc or ultradev list, whatever ultradev is.

If your problem is tomcat-specific, you'll find many helping hands here,
but please do not post unrelated problems to this list, as it just
clutters up everyones inboxes.

-Pete

Re: Problems with a simple JSP and mySQL connect

Posted by "Howler D. Wolfe" <ho...@bigbadwolf.org>.
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help on this. My problem did indeed turn out to be MySQL
related. After doing some more digging on Dejanews I found the following
link.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=976ec1cd8689bfcb,8&seekm=3a5df3ac%241%40newsgate.hknet.com#p

I followed these directions exactly replacing my own userid and password
there and POOF! Everything worked.

Thanks to the author of this solution! :-)

Thanks
John Brosan

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@rawmart.com>.

Posted by "Howler D. Wolfe" <ho...@bigbadwolf.org>.

Posted by Adam Myatt <my...@potsdam.edu>.
To further expand on the last answer below: if you look at the MANUAL that
comes in the DOC folder of the MySQL installation, section 6.16 "Causes of
Access Denied Errors":

'If you can't get your password to work, remember that you must use the
PASSWORD() function if you set the password with the INSERT, UPDATE, or SET
PASSWORD statements. The PASSWORD() function is unnecessary if you specify
the password using the GRANT ... INDENTIFIED BY statement or the mysqladmin
password command. See section 6.15 Setting Up Passwords. '

A sample would be:

insert into mysql.user
values('larry','root',password('larrys_password'),'Y','Y','Y',etc)

When you try to compare against the password field in mysql.user, the
password passed in is automatically encrypted and the encrypted value is
compared against whatever is in the mysql.password field. A more detailed
explanation is in section 6.15 "Setting Up Passwords" of the manual.

Hope that helps. Sorry if my answer was long and redundant, but I had this
same problem a while ago and it stressed me to the point where I don't want
anyone else to have to suffer it. :)

 - Adam

At 11:22 AM 7/19/2001 +0800, you wrote:

>This is actually a mysql question.  What you can do as follows:
>
>insert a row into mysql.user such that host = larry, user = root, password
= <encrypted pwd> (you can copy from the

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@rawmart.com>.

Posted by "Howler D. Wolfe" <ho...@bigbadwolf.org>.

Posted by "Howler D. Wolfe" <ho...@bigbadwolf.org>.
Simon,

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@rawmart.com>.

Posted by "Howler D. Wolfe" <ho...@bigbadwolf.org>.

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@rawmart.com>.

Posted by "Howler D. Wolfe" <ho...@bigbadwolf.org>.
Here is the code I am using.

Please try not to laugh too much, keep in mind I am new to JSP and Java. ;-)

Thanks
John Brosan

<%@page contentType="text/html" import="java.sql.*" %>

<%= new String("Hello there John") %>
<%
Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver");
Connection con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql:///howlerdb","howler",
"winston2644");

Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM tblMenu");

while (rs.next())
  {
  out.println(rs.getString("MnuItemName"));
  out.println("<BR>");
  }
try {
   if ( rs!=null  ) rs.close();