Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2023/12/04 12:49:55 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Security team rotation introduction to our process

Hello everyone,

*TL;DR; *I have a proposal of refinements we can apply to our security team
and I am looking for comments and feedback (PR is out there in [1]). In
short I am proposing that we introduce rotation of the security team
members, so that we can avoid burnout, give a chance to others to learn
about security and make security team membership effectively temporary -
which might help people with their decision to sign-up for a few months to
learn new skills and see how it works.

*Context:*

It's been quite a few months since we introduced the security team.   see
that as a pretty successful change we implemented. I've given a talk [2]
about it together with Arnout from the ASF Security team. But we can always
improve and iterate on the idea and I think rotation is a good idea for the
team to continue doing a great job and to bring more people in the realm of
security.

*Quick summary of where we : *

* From > 20 issues in March, some of them > 150 days old, we are down to
literally reported 2 (!) issues not being addressed yet (few weeks old and
we target to close them in the upcoming 2.8.0)

* We introduced and iterated on both our Security Model [3] and Security
Policy [4] - some of that is still to be released in 2.8.0 release

* We have successful cooperation with Kei - the security researcher that
brought a wealth of great insights and we've learned a ton from him and how
to approach security handling.

* Thanks to funding 4 of the PMC members got from Sovereign Tech Fund we
were able to also address a lot of potential (and real) threats in our
release and build process as well as improve it and harden it - and in the
near future also expose SBOM and better vulnerability exchange information
to Airflow users

* As a new "ASF Security Committee" member - I already used experiences
from our team setup to help other projects to build their own
processes (somewhat competing with us "Apache Dolphin Scheduler").

*My personal view:*

I think being part of the security team is a fantastic learning
opportunity. Security is becoming more and more important in Software
Development - we are at the verge of regulations that will change a lot
when it comes to approach to security issues, vulnerabilities,
vulnerability exchange, upgrading software and a lot more.

This is an important experience and it's useful to have security-focus and
security experience/skills in the future software development industry -
both from technical skill level but also process-wise.

The rumour is that the CRA (the Cyber Resilience Act) that is about to
regulate security approach for software development in Europe has just
completed the intra-EU-policymakers negotiation phase and it already took a
final shape. It looks like it is actually very pragmatic and good for the
Open Source community at large, as they seem to address literally all the
concerns we raised seeing some initial versions of those regulations). It
will still, however, mean that our processes have to be sound - and it also
seems that we in the ASF and Airflow particularly are well ahead of
everyone else and it's us who will be setting the "golden standards" or how
things should be done.

There are very few people out there who could say they have "a real, proven
experience" with handling well established security processes in
Open-Source software, and I think it's good to have more people exposed to
it, and it's also good for the people to gain the experience (of course if
they are security-minded and they do not see it as "boring"  - which many
people do).

Looking forward to comments/feedback. Do you think it's a good idea in
general?

J.

[1] PR: "Add security team rotation proposal to our security team process"
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/36049
[2] {Presentation: "Lessons Learned: Improving the security process of an
Apache project"
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1EIw4_NHI34v-9KzRDqFi7TS8Pn-O3DgUmjuKqlbghZU/edit#slide=id.p
[3] Airflow Security Model
https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/security/security_model.html
[4] Airflow Security Policy
https://github.com/apache/airflow/security/policy

J.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Security team rotation introduction to our process

Posted by Amogh Desai <am...@gmail.com>.
I really like the idea of having a rotation support system for the security
team.
It is rather important for a couple of members to have this skill as their
forte because security
is generally not a common area of expertise in my experience as an
engineer.

It is often looked at as "boring" or "hard" by most members. But, it would
be a great opportunity
to introduce this process so that more people can get engaged and feel
being a part of something
"big" and "significant".

I agree with Dennis' idea of having a shadow period to understand under a
senior member who
has done it before. This will not only enhance the process but also be a
"training" period for interested
folks.

Thanks & Regards,
Amogh Desai