Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com> on 2015/11/19 19:18:08 UTC

Word Count Tutorial Failure

Hi all – I just attempted to follow the instructions here:
http://docs.datatorrent.com/tutorials/topnwords-c2/

For standing up top N words in Java.

As it stands, things did not work. I was using IntelliJ Idea 14. There were a number of issues, a short (not comprehensive) list is below.

 1.  There are discrepancies between the selected language level in the project settings and certain constructs in the code
    *   In WordReader.java diamonds are used, which are only supported in java 7 but the language level is set to 5
 2.  The apex version is out of date in the pom.xml file (it’s set to 2.2)
 3.  ApplicationWithQuerySupport.java does not compile with newer versions of Apex

I spent about 15 minutes trying to get this thing to work in its present state and it simply was not an easy and ready to roll example.

General thoughts:

 1.  We should not be asking users to manually copy example files from one place to another
 2.  We should not be asking them to rename packages to get things to work
 3.  We should not be asking them to modify existing example code to construct another example.
    *   I think a better approach is to provide a complete example (that works out of the box) and that we can then walk through line by line to explain what it’s doing.
 4.  We shouldn’t be asking them to copy-paste in settings. Instead, we should walk them through what it means to set settings and have a simple enough example that it’s straightforward to configure.
 5.  Standing up a word count example should be a 1-button-click deployment that is ready to run without any user input. Any further configuration should only be necessary for the sake of teaching, not for the sake of operationalizing the project.

I hope this helps, I’m happy to offer further feedback. Thanks!

Re: Word Count Tutorial Failure

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
Chandni - the guide on the building apps takes someone through creating a
project on the command line. This is one approach, and I agree that it’s a
valid one. This doesn’t however discuss setting up in an IDE or running an
example. This is also posted in a blog, rather than being part of the
official documentation of “Getting Started” or within “Tutorials”. I did
follow the instructions on the blog and that approach is indeed <5
minutes. As an example of what I think works well, check out the Storm
guide:

https://storm.apache.org/documentation/Setting-up-development-environment.h
tml

https://storm.apache.org/documentation/Creating-a-new-Storm-project.html

The guides are concise, and while they could hold your hand a little more,
are quick and to the point.

Posted by Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>.
Sandesh,

Posted by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.
Ilya,

Just trying to get a sense of what meets your definition of "crystal
clear and concise".
How about this for your steps 4, 5, and 6:

1. Open terminal window and do:
     git clone https://github.com/DataTorrent/examples
     bash examples/tutorials/topnwords/scripts/newapp
     (hit Enter at " Y: :" prompt)
     cd myapexapp
     mvn clean package -DskipTests
     (should have created target/myapexapp-1.0-SNAPSHOT.apa)
2. Go to the Develop page on the sandbox GUI and upload the .apa file.
3. Click the "launch" button to run the application.

For the IDE part, it necessarily increases the size of a document since multiple
screenshots are involved; secondly, each IDE has its own quirks. We currently
do cover NetBeans in the tutorial and are working on covering at least Eclipse
and IntelliJ in the coming weeks.

Ram

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
Ram -

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.
Ilya,

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 for a doc on building an example from scratch for getting started on
Apex. Also in next chapters we progressively improve it to show different
features.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Ganelin, Ilya <Ilya.Ganelin@capitalone.com

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.
Ilya,

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Ilya,

We've had at least a couple of people walk through the steps with no problems.
Not sure if anyone has tried this with IntelliJ so there may be some
IDE related issue there.

When I generate a new project using the maven archetype, I get a
pom.xml file which has
<datatorrent.version>3.1.1</datatorrent.version>
near the top; is this value different in your case (your first item 2) ?