Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Keith Bacon <ke...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/06 15:54:46 UTC

Seperate Actions For Form Init & Validation (was JSPs past WEB-INF --- Please Help!)

My way may be no better!
I have a hidden variable called formName on every
form, set to a literal value. I code the same name in
that forms action class.
Then at top of the perform method in the action class,
if the 2 values are equal I know I was started from my
form being submitted so I validate.
Otherwise I don't validate but do initialisation of
the form.
There's a similarity to struts tokens here - maybe we
need 2 types of token?
Form Version Token
- checks submission is from my form & from the latest
version of it I sent (not some old cached version).
Form Name Token
 - checks submission is from my form.

--------
Note that your action classes have these functions
1 - Prepare for initial form display
2 - xfer to this forms JSP (forward to input mapping).

3 - Validate form input
4 - If Valid xfer to next function (forward to success
mapping)
5 - If invalid xfer to this forms jsp (forward to
input mapping)

I have all this in 1 action class & use only 1 action
mapping.

Other people have an action mapping & class for the
initial send & another for the validation.

The 3rd way (Alexanders) is 2 action mappings using 1
action class

I don't have enough experience to say which is best!
-----
Keith.