Posted to savan-dev@ws.apache.org by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/20 08:18:34 UTC

Questions on TCP Transport

Hi Folks,

I was trying to get the TCP transport working with Synapse. I was able to
get a simple scenario working but I have a couple of questions.

1. It seems in order to use the TCP listener, one should enable both the TCP
listener and the sender in the axis2.xml. The TCPWorker specifically checks
for this condition. Is this check really necessary?

2. The transport only allows one server socket for all services. Why don't
we make it possible to configure the transport at service level? That way
different services can have different server sockets. We can also use that
to push non-SOAP messages into services using TCP.

If these improvements sound valid and acceptable I can provide some patches.

Thanks,
Hiranya

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Senior Software Engineer;

Re: Questions on TCP Transport

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Maybe it would also make sense to merge the
> AbstractTransportListenerEx code into AbstractTransportListener. In
> the Axis2 transports projects there are currently no more transports
> that extend AbstractTransportListener directly. However, IIRC, the FIX
> transport in Synapse still extends AbstractTransportListener. Can you
> verify that and check if it would make sense to refactor the FIX
> transport to use AbstractTransportListenerEx?

Sure, I'll have a look.

Thanks,
Hiranya

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  can you file JIRA with WSDL and axis2.xml to replicate problem?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2

Done - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-4722

Thanks,
Hiranya

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:26:07 +0530
Subject: Re: Questions on TCP Transport
From: hiranya911@gmail.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:18, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I was trying to get the TCP transport working with Synapse. I was able to
> get a simple scenario working but I have a couple of questions.
> 1. It seems in order to use the TCP listener, one should enable both the TCP
> listener and the sender in the axis2.xml. The TCPWorker specifically checks
> for this condition. Is this check really necessary?
> 2. The transport only allows one server socket for all services. Why don't
> we make it possible to configure the transport at service level? That way
> different services can have different server sockets. We can also use that
> to push non-SOAP messages into services using TCP.

I think both approaches are meaningful:

* One socket for all services is a good approach when WS-Addressing is used.
* One socket per service is required when WS-Addressing is not an option.

Note that AbstractTransportListenerEx nicely supports both options.

Yes. I see that the UDP transport supports both approaches via the AbstractTransportListenerEx.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:26:07 +0530
From: hiranya911@gmail.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org

Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:26:07 +0530
From: hiranya911@gmail.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org

Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:26:07 +0530
From: hiranya911@gmail.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org

Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:26:07 +0530
From: hiranya911@gmail.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:18, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I was trying to get the TCP transport working with Synapse. I was able to
> get a simple scenario working but I have a couple of questions.
> 1. It seems in order to use the TCP listener, one should enable both the TCP
> listener and the sender in the axis2.xml. The TCPWorker specifically checks
> for this condition. Is this check really necessary?
> 2. The transport only allows one server socket for all services. Why don't
> we make it possible to configure the transport at service level? That way
> different services can have different server sockets. We can also use that
> to push non-SOAP messages into services using TCP.

I think both approaches are meaningful:

* One socket for all services is a good approach when WS-Addressing is used.
* One socket per service is required when WS-Addressing is not an option.

Note that AbstractTransportListenerEx nicely supports both options.
Probably it's time to refactor the TCP transport to use
AbstractTransportListenerEx (which didn't exist at the time the TCP
transport was implemented).

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.