Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 01:19:12 UTC

Plugin and CordovaPlugin

Hey

I know that we have recently deprecated Plugin in favour for
CordovaPlugin, but it seems that we really screwed up the deprecation
and now one of the flagship apps that use PhoneGap no longer has a
valid upgrade path.  I think that this is a major problem that is
biting us in the ass, so I would like to see us put the Plugin shim
back into Cordova.

I know this is a bad thing to add, but we basically gave our users the
giant middle finger by deprecating this without notifying them at all.
 I'm not sure what we should do in this case.

Joe

Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 17, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Marcel - I like your idea of adding release notes / deprecation notices to
> the docs. Perhaps this could be merged with the upgrade guides?

I think that would work. I put my Cordova consumer hat on and ask the question "the changelog to low-level for me, what changes do I need to be concerned about for my app or my plugin?"  The next logical step would be to go to the upgrade guides to see what I need to do to address the topics in the release notes / deprecation notices.

> I've been thinking that it would be a good idea to have a Cordova blog
> where committers could post to. I think an authoritative news source is
> missing right now for Cordova. E.g. release announcements should go there,
> what's new announcements, upgrade guides, new plugin announcements, etc.

+1

Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Fun time to go on leave :)

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whatever we decide can we be extra loud about it? Blog posts, tweets,
> google groups.
>
> On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, Joe Bowser wrote:
>
>> OK, We actually did deprecate this properly.  I don't know how I
>> missed this edit Simon did on the Wiki:
>>
>> https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/DeprecationPolicy

Yeah, something on this tack. So if it was deprecated properly, why is there noise in the plugin ecosystem? Joe/Simon did the right things, but for whatever reason it didn't connect with the consumers.

If we think this is just a matter of consumer communication, here are some potential ways to improve that:
- add to cordova-docs a top-level "Upgrading Plugins Guide". I think Michael Billau had started one and might have a draft. And Simon has a blog post on this topic.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
I think that 2.9.x is going to be our long-lived 2.x stream.  So,
whatever we dump in this release will be with us for as long as we
want to support that release.

BTW: I have a 2.8.1 tagged and ready to go, but the git servers are down. :(

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Braden Shepherdson <br...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Braden Shepherdson <br...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Lucas Holmquist <lh...@redhat.com> wrote:
> This is sort of a tough one i think,  how long has this deprecation notice been in the code?

Does it matter if the deprecation is in code? Our users don't read
code, which is painfully obvious.  The fact is that this was
deprecated in code for six months, but we didn't announce the change,
and very few people have updated their plugins.

> if we change android to work,  and then remove it again,  will we still have the same issue with the users.

I hope not, but if we do I don't care at that point.  We gave them
notice.  If they get upset about this change at that point, it's their
own fault.

> i'm just trying to play devil's advocate here. As a user, it would be nice to have this come back for a release, but as a developer,  i can see the other hand

Fair enough. I'm not known as the champion of the users, actually
quite to the contrary.  I'm the developer that all our Android users
despise because I close bugs that I feel are out of scope, or that we
just can't fix.  Therefore, when I say that we should probably fix
things, it's probably an actual real issue and doesn't come from any
warm fuzzy feeling I have for these people.

Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin

Posted by Lucas Holmquist <lh...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.