Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Lists <li...@dankeeley.co.uk> on 2008/01/28 15:18:55 UTC

Time spent where?

Hi,

I've posted about this before, but got some more info now.

We have a standard apache -> tomcat -> oracle system.  In the db we can
access the total time spent in tomcat and oracle.  By analysing the apache
logs (modjk gives you an elapsed time) we can log the time spent in apache,
tomcat and oracle.

And then of course jmeter gives us the overall end to end response times.

The problem i have is that at higher loads, the gap of response times
reported by jmeter grows much faster than it does when reported at the
apache layer.  So i thought this was caused by a busy jmeter server.

So i ran 2 jmeters on 2 separate servers independantly (At half load).
Unfortunately the gap remains.

Is this a usual scenario that people see at high loads?  could the figures
being reported be lieing to me?  The DB server is under load at this point
but none of the other servers seem stressed.  I'm a bit stuck in how to
debug this further?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Time spent where?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
what I would do is added some simple code to time how long the queries take
and write that to a file.

Back when I worked for Superpages.com, we had all sorts of performance
logging, so that we could generate reports every night. In my case, we had
service level agreements, so we had to log extensively and make sure
response time were within the requirements.

peter

Re: Time spent where?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.