Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2012/01/11 23:22:41 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Reporting plugins should require Maven 2.2.1

Hi

I've had a look at this issue in the Checkstyle Plugin
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-146

The issue is not unique to the Checkstyle Plugin, but rather any plugin
that uses Doxia 1.1.x or newer. That means at least all reporting
plugins. I've verified it on the PMD Plugin that I am working on.

All Maven 2 versions come with a bundled Doxia version. This means that
it is locked and cannot use newer versions of Doxia. Most current
reporting plugins use Doxia 1.1.x which was introduced in Maven 2.1.0.
Maven version prior to that cannot use Doxia 1.1 features like Doxia
Logging.

So when a reporting plugin using Doxia 1.1 is invoked by Maven 2.0.x
there is a high probability that it will crash, in a way similar to what
is described in the above issue.

To remedy this I propose that all plugins that use Doxia 1.1+ has its
Maven prerequisite set to 2.2.1.

Why not 2.1.0 or 2.2.0 you may ask? Well, we don't want people to use
them because Maven 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 produce incorrect GPG signatures and
checksums respectively.

Comments?

This is something that can be done one plugin at a time, when it's due
for release. We should register JIRA issues for each plugin stating the
updated Maven prerequisite, to make the change visible to our users.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [PROPOSAL] Reporting plugins should require Maven 2.2.1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Olivier

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

- Stephen

---
screen

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
+1 Now that Java 1.5 has already seen EOL for some years it is funny that
most plugins even are still working with 1.4.

Regards Mirko
--
Sent from my phone
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
we should maybe roll a 2.3 where the fix is being aware of the new snapshot
metadata so that people who have projects not ready for 3.0.4 can have them
coexist.

- Stephen

---

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Well actually I'd say force people to use 2.2.2 after rolling a 2.2.2
that does not barf on the 3.0.3 metadata in local repo... such a 2.2.2
does not need to understand the extra metadata, just not barf on it
(i.e. copy the 2.2.1 tag, make the metadata forgiving, release 2.2.2
so that the changes are absolutely minimal)

But other than that, yes that is my point

Posted by Robert Scholte <ap...@sourcegrounds.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <ap...@sourcegrounds.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <ap...@sourcegrounds.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Robert Scholte
<ap...@sourcegrounds.com> wrote:
> What about plugins containing both build and report goals?
> If the suggested shading of Doxia will work, I'd prefer that option.

Can you elaborate on the problem?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Reporting plugins should require Maven 2.2.1

Posted by Robert Scholte <ap...@sourcegrounds.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1

+1

Re: [PROPOSAL] Reporting plugins should require Maven 2.2.1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

- Stephen

---
screen

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi

Some background on Maven and Doxia versions and compatibility can be
found here:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.
+1