Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/14 17:32:50 UTC

new entries in mime.types for application/octet-string - applicability of IANA registry?

newbie warning ;)

We currently have

application/octet-stream	bin dms lha lzh exe class so dll dmg

I understand that in general we reject changes to mime.types if it
isn't for registered types (or registered extensions for those
types?), but does that apply to the file extensions for which we'll
return application/octet-stream?

(I'm failing to draw a line between dll and the IANA registry, for example.)

I had a question about cab as a possible file extension for
application/octet-stream, but it turns out that there is a more
specific media type for that -- vnd.ms-cab-compressed.  So it wouldn't
make sense to declare it as application/octet-steam.

jar is another question: Is there a reason not to add jar to the set
of extensions for application/octet-stream?

Thanks!

Re: new entries in mime.types for application/octet-string - applicability of IANA registry?

Posted by Matt Lewandowsky <ma...@iamcode.net>.
Message from colm@stdlib.net at Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:52:26 +0100:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:32:50AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> jar is another question: Is there a reason not to add jar to the set
>> of extensions for application/octet-stream?
>
> application/java-archive is a common return for that one :-)
>
> Here's my full-list, based on what a lot of obscure software
> demands/expects:

This topic is one I've had to help many people with over the years for
serving applications to wireless devices. In addition to .jar, the
following is useful:

      text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad

This mime type is already in mime.types, but there is no extension for
it, by default. This causes no end of grief for people who are serving
J2ME apps for the first time as Sun is quite picky about the mime type
being returned by the server, often.

So, if .jar makes it in, I'd personally like to see
text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor get the jad extension. :)

Also, AFAIK, there is no other mime type which could be used for a .jad
file. :)

Sorry for hijacking this further away from "application/octet-stream",
but I really don't like that mime type, as a rule. ;)

Warmest,

--Matt

--
/*
  * Matt Lewandowsky    matt@iamcode.net

Re: new entries in mime.types for application/octet-string - applicability of IANA registry?

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:32:50AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> jar is another question: Is there a reason not to add jar to the set
> of extensions for application/octet-stream?

application/java-archive is a common return for that one :-)

Here's my full-list, based on what a lot of obscure software
demands/expects:

        application/octet-stream .deb
        application/java-archive .jar .war .ear
        application/mac-binhex40 .hqx
        application/octet-stream .dmg .bin .img .exe .dll
        application/octet-stream .msi .msp .msm
        application/octet-stream .smzip .iso
        application/pgp-signature .asc
        application/x-bzip2 .bz2
        application/x-cocoa .cco
        application/x-java-archive-diff .jardiff
        application/x-java-jnlp-file .jnlp
        application/x-perl .pl .pm
        application/x-pilot .prc .pdb
        application/x-redhat-package-manager .rpm
        application/x-sea .sea
        application/x-stuffit .sit
        application/x-tcl .tcl .tk
        application/x-xpinstall .xpi
        image/x-jng .jng
        text/mathml .mml
        text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
        video/x-mng .mng
        application/octet-stream LHA lha SHK shk SDK sdk arc arj zoo lzh  lzc
        application/octet-stream acd acx adl agx
        application/octet-stream bas bat bsc bxy cbm cfg chm clr cmd con
        application/octet-stream d$$ da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 da6 da7 da8 dat
        application/octet-stream d64 ddc dif dms dsk elf emb gb gmp hex
        application/octet-stream ico img jac map mg1 opt pat patch pif p kg
        application/octet-stream rad rpm run sea sfx sna z80
        application/octet-stream rs0 rs1 rs2 rs3 rs4 rs5 rs6 rs7 rs8 rs9
        application/octet-stream spk spark td0 tos ttl uhs voc
        application/octet-stream taf dll DLL x32
        application/x-zmachine z1 z2 z3 z4 z5 z6 z7 z8
        application/x-zmachine Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 Z6 Z7 Z8
        application/x-tads gam GAM
        application/x-t3vm-image t3 T3
        application/x-glulx ulx ULX
        application/x-blorb blb BLB blorb BLORB
        text/plain me t src doc
        application/octet-stream exe EXE
        application/zip zip ZIP
        application/octet-stream prc pdb
        application/pdf pdf PDF
        application/x-newton-compatible-pkg pkg
        application/mac-binhex40 hqx HQX
        application/octet-stream cpt CPT
        application/x-stuffit sit SIT
        application/x-tar tgz
        application/java class
        audio/x-mp3 mp3
        image/png png
        image/x-pcx pcx
        application/x-bittorrent torrent
        text/plain txt text 1st readme announce from doc letters lst li st me
        text/plain c h el inf t pas perl pl notes origin
        text/plain step step1 step2 step3 step4 clue clues sol
        text/plain sup1 sup2 sup3 txt1 txt2 txt3 wlk
        text/plain Readme README FAQ POSTER TXT ME
        application/x-redhat-package-manager .rpm