Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/01 05:51:09 UTC

Ready for a 3.1.1 release candidate?

All bugs reported against 3.1 have been fixed, see below:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1363
Migration Oracle database 3.0 to 3.1 partitialy failed

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1406
Optional themes use incorrect $url method

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1410
Cast database results to Number, not Integer

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1412
Mail session should not be commented out in web.xml

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1458
Referrers macro not showing count

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1464
Update Atom protocol to use final namespace and pass draft #15 Ape tests

Did some of the issues on the mailing list fail to make it into JIRA?

Any other issues consider for 3.1.1?

- Dave

Re: Ready for a 3.1.1 release candidate?

Posted by Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com>.
Hi Dave,

A while back I asked for a few small changes to enable to to make better
templates, but forgot to create a tickets for them.  If it is not too
difficult, I would really appreciate the following enhancements (from a
May 30 2007 message):

> I've been working on creating a new Roller theme based on a sharp
> template from styleshoot.  It's almost finished.  There is a button
> effect that I can't do 100% accurately to the theme (even after
> fiddling with the CSS for hours) because of the very few tags in that
> menu bar.  It would be most helpful to theme developers if at least
> one of these two things could be added to Roller's default output:
> (not just on my installation)
>
> 1) Change the menu bar list items from:
>
>   <li class="rNavItem">
>   </li>
>
> to have a span inside of the a link:
>
>   <li class="rNavItem">
>   </li>
>

> 2) If Roller knows that one of these list items is currently being
> displayed (such as Front Page or Weblog), then add either an id or
> class of "current" to the list item.
>
> 3) On the comments form, the buttons have a class of "button" which is
> very helpful.  On the search form, the button does not have a class of
> "button" so it gets styled differently.

Thanks,
Ryan

Posted by Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com>.
Dave wrote:
> On 7/1/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/1/07, Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com> wrote:
>> > Ok so let's walk through a scenario.  Lets say that I'm interested in
>> > the Yellow Theme for my blog.  I choose the Yellow Theme and click the
>> > save button.  I do not want to make any customizations, I just want to
>> > use it as-is.   Now I go to my blog webpage and see a bunch of
>> un-styled
>> > text, with no graphics.  This is not what the theme designer intended.
>> > Why is this expected behavior?
>>
>> If that is happening there is a bug and we need to find it and fix it,
>> but we're gonna need your help because I cannot duplicate the problem
>> you describe.
>
> I got Windows up and running on my Mac via Parallels and was able to
> find and fix this problem. Turns out, it had to do with UNIX vs.
> Windows file separators.
>
>   http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-1471
>
> Thanks Ryan! I think we're ready for Roller 3.1.1 RC1.
>
> - Dave
Thank you for taking the time to find and fix it!

Ryan

Re: Ready for a 3.1.1 release candidate?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com>.
Allen Gilliland wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> C:\Program Files\Tomcat 6.0\roller\ROOT\themes\andreas08
>>>
>>> I knew people don't recommend you have spaces in your paths, but since
>>> everything seems to work for me anyway I just do it.  Maybe this is the
>>> problem?
>>
>> I haven't been able to verify that is the problem yet, but at this
>> point I think it's the most likely suspect.
>

> Can you check if any resources that are not in a subdirectory are
> being properly served up?  For example a url like ...
>
> dave/resource/andreas08.css
>
> if the templates from the theme are rendering correctly then the theme
> must be getting loaded properly, so i would suspect the problem is
> having something to do with just the resources.

Very interesting!
http://www.ryandelaplante.com/dave/resource/sm-theme-andreas08.png
loads a picture..

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Ready for a 3.1.1 release candidate?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Dave wrote:
> On 7/1/07, ryan <ry...@ijws.com> wrote:
>> > - Is there something funny about the themes directory, e.g. does the
>> > path have spaces?
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Tomcat 6.0\roller\ROOT\themes\andreas08
>>
>> I knew people don't recommend you have spaces in your paths, but since
>> everything seems to work for me anyway I just do it.  Maybe this is the
>> problem?
>
> I haven't been able to verify that is the problem yet, but at this
> point I think it's the most likely suspect.

Can you check if any resources that are not in a subdirectory are being
properly served up?  For example a url like ...

dave/resource/andreas08.css

if the templates from the theme are rendering correctly then the theme
must be getting loaded properly, so i would suspect the problem is
having something to do with just the resources.

-- Allen

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ryan <ry...@ijws.com>.

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 12:28:29 -0400, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/1/07, Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com> wrote:
>> I have created a blog account for you on my server and will email the
>> login information directly to you.
>
> This URL should not be a 404:
> http://www.ryandelaplante.com/dave/resource/styles/andreas08.css
>
> The ResourceServlet should recognize that the theme is shared and pull
> the file directory from the themes directory. Andreas08 works for me
> as a shared theme, so I wonder what is happening for you. Some
> questions:
>
> - Do you get an exception in the logs with the above URI is requested?

Yes there are tons of exceptions.  I will attach catalina.log and
roller.log

> - Is there something funny about the themes directory, e.g. does the
> path have spaces?

C:\Program Files\Tomcat 6.0\roller\ROOT\themes\andreas08

I knew people don't recommend you have spaces in your paths, but since
everything seems to work for me anyway I just do it.  Maybe this is the
problem?

> - Did you override the themes.dir property?

No.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Ready for a 3.1.1 release candidate?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com>.
>>> I tested $url.resource() with shared, preview and customized themes
>>> and it worked fine everytime. When customizing a theme, the theme
>>> resources are automatically and correctly copied into the weblog's
>>> file upload area.
>> I get the impression that if you want to use a theme with graphics
>> and CSS (every one of them), then after selecting the theme you have
>> to click the Customize button to have it copy the files.  I don't
>> understand why Roller was changed to use $url.resource instead of
>> $url.themeResource, but a change was not made to automatically copy
>> the required files to the user's data directory?  Basically this has
>> broken every theme unless the user knows to click "Customize".
>
> I think you just have the wrong concept of how the themes work and
> what is supposed to be happening.  What you described is the expected
> behavior.
Ok so let's walk through a scenario.  Lets say that I'm interested in
the Yellow Theme for my blog.  I choose the Yellow Theme and click the
save button.  I do not want to make any customizations, I just want to
use it as-is.   Now I go to my blog webpage and see a bunch of un-styled
text, with no graphics.  This is not what the theme designer intended.
Why is this expected behavior?

> When a blog is using a theme other than 'custom' then it's using a
> shared theme, meaning that there is only one copy of all the theme
> files and they are shared by all blogs using that theme.  In this case
> you are not supposed to have a copy of the files.
>
> When you 'customize' a theme you are copying all of the pieces of the
> theme into your blog so that you can edit them if you please.  This is
> the only time when the files from a theme are supposed to be copied
> into a blog.
I don't want to customize the theme.  I want to use the shared theme
exactly the way the designer had intended: with graphics and CSS.

Thanks,
Ryan

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Posted by Ryan de Laplante <ry...@ijws.com>.