Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John MccLain <jm...@tcshealthcare.com> on 2004/04/01 03:08:16 UTC

service does not start on win2K???

I am getting
"could not start the apache tomcat service on local computer
error 1053: a service did not respond to the start or control in a timely
fashion"

when I try to start tomcat 5.0.19 from the win2k service manager.
The startup.bat file works fine.
What's up???

RE: service does not start on win2K???

Posted by Chanan Braunstein <cb...@knovel.com>.
I had a problem like that when my settings in registry were wrong (after
using the configure Tomcat program). Try:

1) Make sure you set the JAVA_HOME in the environment variables.
2) Make sure that in configure tomcat you have java in the java VM box
3) uncheck Auto check box
4) Make sure that the VM options are valid. Try removing everything that you
might have added, I think the default is (With your directories of course):

-Dcatalina.home="C:\Tomcat 5.0"
-Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\Tomcat 5.0\common\endorsed"
-Xrs

Start Tomcat service and see if it works.

Chanan Braunstein
Knovel Corp.
Web Development Manager
607-773-1840 x672
http://www.knovel.com

I have the same error in a windows machine.... startup works fine, and hen I
had tomcat 4.1, everuthing worked fine too...

John MccLain wrote:
> I am getting
> "could not start the apache tomcat service on local computer error
> 1053: a service did not respond to the start or control in a timely
> fashion"
>
> when I try to start tomcat 5.0.19 from the win2k service manager.
> The startup.bat file works fine.
> What's up???

Emerson Cargnin
Analista de Sistemas
Setor de Desenvolvimento de Sistemas - TRE-SC tel : (048) - 251-3700 - Ramal
3181

Re: service does not start on win2K???

Posted by Emerson Cargnin <em...@tre-sc.gov.br>.