Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com> on 2004/08/25 02:26:55 UTC

daily updates: initial QA proposal

Rule must pass the following parameters:

 - hits > 1% of recent spam or > 5% of missed spam
 - hits > 1% of missed spam
 - S/O ratio must be >= 0.999 (until we use perceptron)
 - scores >= 0.5 and <= 2.5 (until we use perceptron)

I'm willing to tweak these, I just want something to get us off the
ground.  I'm also hoping we use the perceptron very soon after we get
started.

Daniel

Re: daily updates: initial QA proposal

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Daniel,

Tuesday, August 24, 2004, 5:26:55 PM, you wrote:

DQ> Rule must pass the following parameters:

DQ>  - hits > 1% of recent spam or > 5% of missed spam
DQ>  - hits > 1% of missed spam

How do you measure missed spam? I have maybe 1 or 2 missed spam (false
negatives) each week. If my corpus contains three months' spam, that's a
generous 26 spam. Any rule that hits a single FN hits 4% missed spam in
this environment.

Are you maybe suggesting a 3-way corpus to be tested: a ham corpus (1-2
year coverage), a spam corpus (3-4 month coverage), and a false negative
corpus (6 mo to 1 year coverage) or something like that?

DQ>  - S/O ratio must be >= 0.999 (until we use perceptron)
DQ>  - scores >= 0.5 and <= 2.5 (until we use perceptron)

These seem very reasonable and workable. Any normal SARE rule which
scores a 1% spam hit rate in SARE mass-checks, with zero ham hits, gets a
1.666 score using our current methods (1/3 of 5), and those which are
obfu-like rules (testing specifically for things that should not ever
happen in ham, obfu, %RANDOM tags, and the like) get 2.500. We can
probably find a way to lower these to a more relativistic measure based
on actual spam counts...

DQ> I'm willing to tweak these, I just want something to get us off the
DQ> ground.  I'm also hoping we use the perceptron very soon after we get
DQ> started.

I think these are good starting measures. And yes, the perceptron will be
very useful once part of this system.

Bob Menschel