Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Bouis, Laurent" <La...@sonyconnect.com> on 2007/09/28 00:35:54 UTC

maxBufferedDocs vs autoCommit->maxDocs

Hi,

What is the difference between the
<maxBufferedDocs>1000</maxBufferedDocs>, and the
<autoCommit><maxDocs>1000</maxDocs>...</autoCommit> parameters in
solrconfig.xml?

Do they influence the frequency of flush to disk and document
distribution in segments in a different way?

When I did some test with low identical values, I saw similar behavior
in terms of frequency of index data flushed to disk (although the number
of segments sometimes looked a bit different).

Thanks.

Laurent

Re: maxBufferedDocs vs autoCommit->maxDocs

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 27-Sep-07, at 3:35 PM, Bouis, Laurent wrote:

> What is the difference between the
> <maxBufferedDocs>1000</maxBufferedDocs>, and the
> <autoCommit><maxDocs>1000</maxDocs>...</autoCommit> parameters in
> solrconfig.xml?
>
> Do they influence the frequency of flush to disk and document
> distribution in segments in a different way?

maxBufferedDocs affects disk flushing behaviour, but is purely a
lucene-level thing that might affect performance and memory usage,
but not semantics.

autoCommit is a Solr-level option that affects when added document
become visible to searches (very important to search semantics).  A
side-effect of a commit is a lucene-level flush, so if
maxBufferedDocs > autoCommit it does not have any effect.

cheers,
-Mike