Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net> on 2006/02/06 22:48:57 UTC

[All] Newbies and questioners: Please respect the policy of this list

Hello,

due to the last weeks of many unsortable mail headers:
Here http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#Commons is a important
sentence about the "good tone" of the topics of any messages to this list.

> Since there are multiple projects in commons, after successfully
> subscribing, please add [/component_name/] at the beginning of the
> subject of your mail. This will allow all concerned to use their mail
> agent's filter system to focus on the particular components they are
> interested in.
>
> The various Commons components use the same mail list to improve
> cross-pollination of ideas.

Many people (me too) use automatic filters of their mail clients to sort
the different components and read the components of interest.
Please make life of people who read the list continuously easier - they
are reading the list to help you.

The more people obey that - the more new people see how it works and
helps...

Thanks and regards
Boris

Re: [All] Newbies and questioners: Please respect the policy of this list

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@yahoo.com>.
Henri,
My personal feeling is that choice is good.  Given the choice, I would
probably subscribe to individual API lists rather than attempt to filter
the messages that I get on this list as a previous poster suggested.

You mention that the benefit to having an all-inclusive list is that:
(1) People working on different APIs can see synergies or areas of
commonality or need between the different groups.
(2) User subscriptions are easier.

While I agree with your first contention, I find that most of the people
on the lists are actually users of the APIs not contributors.  So while
it might be interesting to me as a VFS contributor to know that Net
users might like to use some of its code, as a user this is largely
irrelevant to me.  Also there's a lot of sharing going on outside of the
Commons list that doesn't really get captured on the lists  or remains
solely within the domain of the originating group.  For example, VFS has
a number of Ant tasks that aren't distributed with Ant, but would
actually be quite useful to Ant users.  This information is never really
communicated out of the commons lists.

As for making user subscriptions easier.  Most people download the
individual APIs that they want to use, and it makes sense for them to
subscribe only to the list for that API.

To sum up: if you're a lead on a project; subscribe to everything.  If
you're a contributor or a user, you get a choice -- but contributors are
encouraged to subscribe to everything.

Mark

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
There's a welcome mail? ;)

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
That is the confirm mail and not the welcome mail :)
Maybe the confirm mail is a better place to put the list policy of prefixing..

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Technically yes, but pretty much undesirable from an admin point of view.
I rather have no prefixing than this solution to be honest..
I think we are never going to solve the problem anyway, but we might get some improvement from
adding the prefixing to the footer of all the mails ?

Something like :

Please prefix your subject with the name of the component eg [componentname]

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Hal Hildebrand <ha...@oracle.com>.
Can't confirm it, which goes to point out the fundamental flaw here.  I got the subscription message and immediately replied and deleted it.  Don't remember if I got a welcome message (there's none in my archives, but that doesn't mean it didn't come).

Anyways, this is just to say that if you have a list policy which is a little different, then you probably should be prepared to keep telling people about it.  And because of this, one should likely be a bit understanding (and patient) if people don't immediately figure it out.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Hal Hildebrand <ha...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.
Good Morning,