Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/14 01:43:04 UTC

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

So, no excitement about Ignite 2.0? :)

I went ahead and created a 2.0 version in Ignite Jira, and included the
following tickets so far based on the chance that this ticket will require
breaking changes in APIs/Configuration
 - IGNITE-3469 - Get rid of deprecated APIs and code
 - IGNTIE-3477 - Rework offheap storage
 - IGNITE-3478 - Transactional SQL
 - IGNITE-1605 - Provide stronger data loss check
 - IGNITE-3306 - Extend IgniteCluster interface with the methods to send
and receive custom discovery events

I believe that there are many more changes that we wanted to make but
delayed because they would break binary compatibility, so if you have
something in mind - it's time to create a ticket or assign it to 2.0 if it
exists. It's good to know the scope of work.

Also, it would be great if you review/comment the above-mentioned tickets.

Thanks,
AG

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Vova, 2) even long zero is encoded as 1 byte now. Do you think it is a
problem?

--Yakov

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
​Great stuff! Guys, please go ahead and file corresponding tickets or
reassign the fix version to 2.0 if a ticket exists so that we keep track of
the scope. It would also be great if you review the ones I created and see
if they make sense.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.
Several points from my side:
1)  Drop support for null cache names
2) rework Visor data transfer objects to binary format in order to easily
extend them if needed.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Yakov, I am not sure we fixed it. Plus sometimes we encode missing value as
-1, so it is written as 4 bytes still.

Dmitry, to my knowledge Unsafe will be available only when special VM flag
is set. It is not a problem for ignite.sh, but may cause usability issues
when running in embedded mode. Moreover, some methods will be removed from
Unsafe, e.g. monitorEnter(). So I doubt we even compilable with Java 9 now.

14 июля 2016 г. 16:27 пользователь "Dmitriy Setrakyan" <

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Several points from my side:

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:49 AM, Alexey Goncharuk <
alexey.goncharuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I know there is IgniteDataStreamer for writing cache, but how about
> > > reading cache as stream for iterate all elements with scan performane
> > 1-3M
> > > tuple/sec?
> > >

> > We already have Scan queries which allow for paginated iteration with
> > filters. Are you suggesting something beyond this?
>

> I like the idea of DataStreamer approach for scanning a cache. I think it
> would be nice to have a way to iterate over cache partitions in parallel,
> similar to forEachPartition() method in Spark RDD.
>
> Benefits compared to current Scan query:
>  * Parallel execution for different partitions
>  * Bringing computation to data, not data to client.
>
> Of course, this can already be implemented by a user with local scan query
> + compute task, but having an utility method on an API will cut a lot of
> boilerplate code for users.

Got it now. Sounds very useful. I think we should definitely create a
ticket for it and see if anyone in the community will pick it up. Sounds
like it won’t be too difficult to implement.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.
I am allowed to flip-flop on my opinions every now and then :)

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.
Alexey K.,

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.

15 Июл 2016 г. 15:17 пользователь "Sergi Vladykin" <se...@gmail.com>

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Andrey Velichko <an...@gmail.com>.
15.07.2016 0:31, Dmitriy Setrakyan \u043f\u0438\u0448\u0435\u0442:

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:26 AM, AndreyVel <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good feature may be Aggregated cache - analog materialized view in DBMS
> Aggregated cache is great for performance (KPI, analytecal reports).

Do you mean a copy of the aggregated data in another cache? What happens
when the data in the original caches is updated?

> Recently I learned network traffic between nodes when node restart/startup
> and do no found any compressing for transferred data.

Agree, we should allow users compress the data. I am not an expert on
Ignite messaging, but would be nice if some of the committers could comment
on this.

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by AndreyVel <an...@gmail.com>.
Good feature may be Aggregated cache - analog materialized view in DBMS
Aggregated cache is great for performance (KPI, analytecal reports).

Recently I learned network traffic between nodes when node
restart/startup and do no found any compressing for transferred data.

I know there is IgniteDataStreamer for writing cache, but how about
reading cache as stream for iterate all elements with scan performane
1-3M tuple/sec?

14.07.2016 4:43, Alexey Goncharuk \u043f\u0438\u0448\u0435\u0442: