Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Jamey Wood <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/18 23:26:57 UTC

Including "Unrecommendable" Items

Is there any best practice for including user preferences for certain items
as a Recommender input, but ensuring that those items are never included in
actual recommendations?

For example, suppose that Amazon wanted to produce book recommendations for
you.  They might still want to include your non-book purchases as inputs to
the Recommender (as your taste in DVDs might be quite relevant, for
example).  But they would never want those non-book items to show up as
recommendation outputs (for this particular scenario).  Is there some
elegant way to accomplish this with Mahout?  Or would you just need to
implement your own post-processing logic to remove the non-book items?  Or
is this all a bad idea in general?

Thanks,
Jamey

Re: Including "Unrecommendable" Items

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yes...

I always forget about that.  You must have mentioned this half a dozen
times.

Posted by Jamey Wood <ja...@gmail.com>.
Great.  Thank you both!

--Jamey

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I usually just post process the recommendations using a variety of business logic rules.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Yes just include the item in the DataModel but filter it at runtime
with a Rescorer. This sounds like exactly what you are looking for.