Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by CompuChip <co...@hotmail.com> on 2007/03/03 09:54:00 UTC

Windows / Linux version

Hello.

I have a dual boot Ubuntu / XP Home system with a shared FAT partition for my data files. I'd like to check out my SVN repository to this shared partition from my server and use it in both OSes. Whenever I perform an operation (like commit) on Windows though, appearantly it converts the working copy into some Linux incompatible form, because when I boot into Ubuntu afterwards and try to do anything with the working copy I get a message about the client being too old. Obviously, I've checked that I have the most recent version on both OSes.

Is it actually possible to do this, or do I just make a checkout on my Windows disk, and one on my Linux disk, and use the remote repo to synch them? (That would work, but would be a little inefficient and won't help me when I don't have a connection to the server and want to switch OSes).

Kind regards

Michael.

Re: Windows / Linux version

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/07, CompuChip <co...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a dual boot Ubuntu / XP Home system with a shared FAT partition for
> my data files. I'd like to check out my SVN repository to this shared
> partition from my server and use it in both OSes. Whenever I perform an
> operation (like commit) on Windows though, appearantly it converts the
> working copy into some Linux incompatible form, because when I boot into
> Ubuntu afterwards and try to do anything with the working copy I get a
> message about the client being too old. Obviously, I've checked that I have
> the most recent version on both OSes.

What version do you actually have on both OSes? Sounds like you have
1.4 on Windows and 1.3 on Linux.

Re: Re[2]: Windows / Linux version

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they're both using the ".svn" mode.

I have now tried using 1.4.3 for my windows ( so that both my windows and
linux use 1.4.3 ), updated my source, then switch the linux. After doing so,
I am now able to update my sources with no problems...not sure though if
that is the correct solution, because I am still encountering "Skipped '.'"
in some of my sources.

Steps to reproduce.
1. Boot to linux
2. use "svn update" on a source
* you will get an error message stating that you do not have permissions to
do so
3. use "sudo svn update" on that same source [ and enter your password ]

Expected Result:
* The source will be updated.

Actual Result:
* Skipped '.'

Note that if you remove step#2, there would be problem whatsoever. But if a
permission fails on a source, it seems that I can no longer access it via
svn.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Franz

Re[2]: Windows / Linux version

Posted by "Dmitry Y. Labutin" <dm...@incub.ru>.
Hello,

Re: Windows / Linux version

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day,

Re: Windows / Linux version

Posted by Jeff Smith <js...@robotronics.com>.
On Saturday 03 March 2007 15:15, Andy Levy wrote:
> On 3/3/07, CompuChip <co...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > message about the client being too old. Obviously, I've checked
> > that I have the most recent version on both OSes.
>
> What version do you actually have on both OSes? Sounds like you
> have 1.4 on Windows and 1.3 on Linux.

More specifically, make sure you check by typing
 svn --version
because when I had mixed binaries and dynamic library files installed,
I specifically used the svn 1.2 but --version showed 1.4.2.