Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by santosh kumar <24...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/11 08:42:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Need Help Urgently: Printing access details in Apache Access logs

Hi

I am in search of any tool through which i can measure quality of service
of my sebservice which is being accessed through Apache .
My webservice is being deployed on tomcat and being accessed by Apache from
outer  world.
The problem i am facing is My Customer uses apache's access logs to measure
the quality of service by just seeing the error codes 200 (for OK) and rest
others as NOK.

When my service raises any exception ex:object not found then its an OK
case in regard to my quality of web service but apache shows code as 500
and they assume that my web service quality is bad.

is there any way through which we can print the response of web service in
access logs in Apache.

I need this help urgently if anybody could do it pls....

*With Regards*
*Santosh Kumar*

 <http://www.aricent.com/>
<http://www.aricent.com/>

Re: [users@httpd] Need Help Urgently: Printing access details in Apache Access logs

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.
On 4/11/2013 1:42 AM, santosh kumar wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am in search of any tool through which i can measure quality of
> service of my sebservice which is being accessed through Apache .
> My webservice is being deployed on tomcat and being accessed by Apache
> from outer  world.
> The problem i am facing is My Customer uses apache's access logs to
> measure the quality of service by just seeing the error codes 200 (for
> OK) and rest others as NOK.
>
> When my service raises any exception ex:object not found then its an
> OK case in regard to my quality of web service but apache shows code
> as 500 and they assume that my web service quality is bad.
>
> is there any way through which we can print the response of web
> service in access logs in Apache.
>
> I need this help urgently if anybody could do it pls....
>
> *With Regards*
> *Santosh Kumar*

Hi, Santosh;
   Top of mind, if you have control of the backend response object you
could:
Have the HTTP status code from the backend more accurately reflect
typical HTTP status codes (4xx would be better than 5xx in "OK" scenarios).
Add a response header indicating "OK" and log that (mod_log_config using
%{headername}o). Then anything without that header could be treated as
an error.

Otherwise, I am unaware of a way to interrogate the response object for
content and log differently.

--
Daniel Ruggeri

Re: [users@httpd] Need Help Urgently: Printing access details in Apache Access logs